Today I made a bag.

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Today I made a bag.

Post by Meanqueen »

Today I made a shoulder bag out of upholstery fabric offcuts. It is fully lined with a zip fastening. Some of it is done with the sewing machine, but the motif and beads, and strap, and the zip are sewn by hand. It is 7" x 9" with a 2" gusset. The motif was cut from another piece of upholstery fabric, I painted the edges with clear nail varnish before I stitched it on so it wouldn't fray. I think it looks lovely, and would probably sell for £20 - £25 at a craft fair, but I am keeping it. Cost? Nowt. :-D
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Today I made a bag.

Post by kate egg »

You are SO creative Ilona, and I don't think you evr waste anything - material things or time )t'
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Fabulous Meanqueen! (f+
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

that is really nice llona,it will go with any outfit )t'

angie
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Another winner Ilona! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

You are very talented Ilona!! well done :-D
Looove chucks!
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

As always Ilona, another fine example )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

That looks really good, may have to pinch the idea for yr 8 at work )t' We were thinking of making "manbags" but I like the motif idea on yours.

Did you stitch the motif on before you made the bag up or afterwards?

I think the gusset idea is fab, but way too advanced for our little angels at the mo. I like the fact you used the same material for the strap, we had thought we would have to buy some webbing. We were going to make a envelope type thing with a flap and velcro to fasten it, out of some camoflarge material we were given, a bit more masculine if you know what we mean.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I like the idea of a man bag, most of my bags are usefull practical bags which could be used by either. The envelope idea would be easier for children to make up, not so many seams.

I stitched the motif on before I assembled the bag, it's easier. (A bit more info on my blog). You could get some felt (dont need to seal the edges, it wont fray) and cut out a simple shape and they could sew it on with a contrasting thread in running stitch.

For the strap I cut a long piece and did the stitching on the outside, it isn't noticeable because of the rough texture of the fabric. If you were using a thinner fabric it would be better to sew it inside out and turn it. Because the strap is not adjustable you need to measure the length to fit the person. For simplicity you could use clean rope, or each child bring a belt from home.

Another simple idea I am making now, is to use an item of small childs clothing to make a bag. I bought a small denim skirt from a charity shop for 29p, have sewn up the bottom, now I am putting a zip in the top (waistband) and need to find something for a handle/strap.
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

I have been looking at all your designs your bags and cards are just amazing and have inspired me!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you Evie, but I think I may be getting boring now. Here is my latest bag.

The decoration on the front is pieces cut from aluminium drinks cans, holes punched in them and crochet round the edges with balck wool, then stitched on. The small buckle to fasten it is a cats collar, and the lining is from a dress I bought at a car boot sale for 20p.

Ilona :-D