First attempts with new sewing machine!

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

First attempts with new sewing machine!

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Well, I thought you might like to see what I`ve been up to all weekend!

I have finally finished my first projects with my new sewing machine. I`m very pleased with the results, considering I am not the most patient of people and have many unfinished projects knocking around. I only got it this week, and am amazed at the improvments in them over the last few years! I was using my Mum`s old one, solid but not more than the absolute basics. It was top of the range 35 years ago when she got it.

This is what I have been working on at nightschool classes:

Photo038.jpg
Photo038.jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 2435 times

I made this over the weekend as a birthday pressie for my cousin. Just need to add a handle, and put a button on to close the top. I`m doing "button holes" this week!

Photo040.jpg
Photo040.jpg (131.72 KiB) Viewed 2435 times

Hope she likes it!! Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year.

I bought the materials either in the off-cuts bin in a shop, or already had them in my scraps bag. I did have to buy the wadding, as the patchwork centre is quilted using a special (and therefore expensive) attatchment to the machine.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: First attempts with new sewing machine!

Post by kate egg »

Well done Lorna they look really good )t' I HATE sewing, although I like cross stitch. Hubby can sew really well as we have a small textiles unit and he can make any of the garments as well as our machinists, if maybe not so fast :-D
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

They are lovely LL, well done. I think you'll be inspiring me from now on. :razz:

Ilona
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Thanks for the kind comments on my efforts.

I think YOU could teach me a thing or two Ilona, especially on frugal projects! I did buy a new machine in the first place, not very cost-effective yet {rofwl}
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Those are lovely bags, I'd be made up if someone made me one - well done )t'
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I was totally gob smacked when you said how much the machine cost, makes my £100 machine look rather pathetic. I looked at more expensive ones, but couldn't justify the cost. Still, if you are going to produce more masterpieces like those, then it's worth it.

For cheaper fabric keep your eyes open for sales in charity shops. My Oxfam shop has been selling clothes off for 50p per item. Also car boot sales, I found a stall selling five items for £1. I get anything if it's made out of nice fabric, dresses, blouses, they can all be cut up to make something else.

Ilona
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

They look great LL, well done. I haven't reached the patchwork stage yet, although my machine came with everything you need to do patchwork :-D I brought absolutely hundreds of patchwork squares over a period of about 6 months, some years ago. I had it in my mind to make my daughter a patchwork quilt but I still haven't made it although I do still have the squares and triangles and hearts.... :shock: She is nearly 8 now, she was about 4 when I got the fabric :shock: I agree with Babycakes and would be thrilled to receive something like this as a present too. The recipients will be thrilled to receive their presents. )t'
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Thanks for the tip about charity shops Ilona, I usually stick to the remnents bin in the fabric shops!

I admit the machine was pricy. I use a basic one at work and this one gives me much better control of the speed, is much quieter to use and seems able to cope with everything I could throw at it. I hope it lasts me as long as my mum`s lasted her.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Lilo-Lil wrote: this one gives me much better control of the speed.

Aha, that's the difference then. Mine goes at 90mph or stops, ha ha. I had great difficulty controlling it in the beginning, getting used to it a bit better now, take my slipper off and squeeze the pedal gently. :-D

Ilona
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I still have an old hand singer which I used to make my daughter's clothes on when she was a baby. I can't do electric - too fast, although I used to love treadle machines when I was at school - much more controllable.

Lovely patchwork - well done. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

Mine has a control speed on it too. It is the only machine I have ever used where you can turn it down to slow. I was sewing on slow the other day when my very observant husband remarked, 'wouldn't it be quicker to sew that by hand?' Huh, well I wanted to make sure the seam I was sewing was dead straight. :-D

Ilona that made me laugh when ypou said you take your slipper off and press gently :-D :-D You really do tell it how it is )t' I think that's why I like your blog so much )t'