Help with a knitting pattern

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
chickenlicken
Lively Laner

Help with a knitting pattern

Post by chickenlicken »

I've just taken up the needles again and i'm knitting a jumper for myself. Everything is done except the collar (of all things) I cannot make head nor tail what they are on about. It is a ribbed collar with about 9 set rows and the pattern says the 8th and the 9th rows set position of rib. Then it says, "keeping continuity of rib (throughout) proceed as follows:- work 5 rows dec 1st at each end of every row.
Do i have to start from row number 1 again because rows 8 and 9 contain k2tog and this would decrease too many stitches.
It's a sirdar crofter chunky easy knit number 9208 if anyone has done it.
I hope someone can help as its the only piece which is stopping me finishing it!
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Re: Help with a knitting pattern

Post by Lilo-Lil »

From what I can remember, it seems that you should repeat rows 8 and 9 only, decreasing every 5 rows. You need to make sure you keep the plain and purl stitches where they are, to keep the rib straight and true.

This may mean you find you repeat the row, either 8 or 9, directly after you have decreased, to keep things correct. Rows 8 and 9 should start and finish with opposite stiches, eg. if one starts with purl, the other starts with plain.

Hope this makes sense, it sounds lovely. Look forward to seeing a piccie!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
chickenlicken
Lively Laner

Post by chickenlicken »

Thanks for the reply lilo-lil. I have 110 stitches on the kneedle and the pattern is telling me to decrease a stitch at each end of the next 5 rows so that i then have 100 stitches. Rows 8 and 9 have k2 tog included in them and that would take out too many stitches. There's a sample of a completed one hanging up in the store in town so I think I will go and ask them who did it so they can tell me what i do next.
This pattern is supposed to be "easy". Well it was until i got to the collar!! Oh it is so frustrating to get so far and then get stuck }hairout{ .
Will let you know how i get on. Thanks for the advice.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Well done for getting that far )c( I love knitting but don't have the patience to knit a garment, the most I have done are the cushions that I made for Thomas and my mum :?
chickenlicken
Lively Laner

Post by chickenlicken »

Thanks kate egg but i have seen the pics of your cushions and they are so clever. If you can do those you can certainly knit a jumper!