Crochet

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Crochet

Post by Sunny B »

I have had acompletely mad idea - learn to crochet. I thought maybe small squares, then put them together when I have enough. I really like this little blanket I got from the charity shop, but I don't know how hard something like that would be? All the colours seem separate, yet I can't see any sign of the wool being knotted together anywhere. Maybe the person that made it was just very good?

Anyway, how easy would it be to learn, is it possible from a book or should I go to the local library "stich and bitch" group and ask someone to show me?
crochet.jpg
crochet.jpg (232.34 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
wendy

Re: Crochet

Post by wendy »

Like knitting I think you can 'work' the wool/cotton in .
I went to evening classes in the 70's and learned to read a pattern. I will put a photo on later of the bedspread I did.
Now when I look at a pattern it seems like a foreign language )gr: I think if I sat down I could work it out. But haven't the motivation yet.
I never was able to pick it up from a book and found classes a better bet for me.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Hello Sunny!

Crochet is easy to learn, and a fab thing to do! I have a DVD which shows you the basic stitches, I will send it to you if you like? My friend taught herself how to crochet from it only last week. I think a 'stitch and bitch'class would also be good,

Ma Larkin :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

Hello Sunny, crochet is quite easy, it must be as I can do it, I made a blanket once and it is now in a bag in the loft, must get it out and see if it is ok, they are very warm, especially when making them as they cover your knees when they are big enough :-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

Here is the bedspread. It is a double, but I have it on a day bed as it is soooo heavy. It is made from dishcloth cotton.

We had to do practice pieces and this a a doilly. I have searched out of a drawer. As I don't use these.

I am quite certain I couldn't do them now...which is a shame.
Wendy

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oddly enough sunny I bought a book on how to crochet a couple of weeks ago and have been scouring the charity shops for a crochet hook. Not found one yet.

there are turtorials o you tubs though
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

i ought the first of a part work which had a dvd, photos, wool x2 and a hook for 99p from the newsagent a few weeks ago and i've managed a basic chain. it really helps having a real person to help you, so i would say go to the stich n bitch group
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I went to get that and they had sold out! Apparantly it was really popular!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

SunnyB - I'm crocheting squares for a blanket at the moment (I've got 515 squares done, so only another 45 or so to go).

I'm using 4 ply pure wool (the only one that does this AFAIK is Rowan), and a 3.50mm crochet hook.

Each one is as follows: Make a slip knot and work 6 chains, then join to make a small circle. Make 3 chains, then work 2 trebles, and then 2 chains. The square is built up of groups of 3 trebles (the first 'treble' on a new row is actually made by doing 3 chains), and each group of trebles has a single chain inbetween. Two chains are used at the corners.

The loose ends are just 'lost' into the crochet using a wool needle.

Each of my squares is four circles, so quite small really, only 7cm across. All done in one colour so no need to change colours. The cheerful colour look will come from using lots of different colours.

I'm thinking of going to crochet a row of navy blue around each one, then sew them together. The colours seem to look better with navy blue edging rather than black which is a little harsh.

This quantity will then end up with a blanket which is 2m x 2m.

I do the crochet squares anywhere and everywhere - a crochet hook and small ball of wool will fit into any handbag, and I get about 20 squares to one 50g ball of wool.
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Wendy, did you crochet the doilies? They remind me of tatting which is made up of half hitches, I could do that in my teens but I never really mastered it.

I did start getting the crochet magazine, it has some lovely patterns in it, I can't wait to have a go at some of them but I've just started knitting some merino wool mittens, so one job at a time {warn}
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Go for it Sunny B try uuutoob for instructions I find it really relaxing

Wendy so impressed they look fab
We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. Albert Einstein
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes I did.
It was something we were given to do in the classes.
We did lots of things in the classes, it was very comprehensive. I could have gone on to the next term and done french lace... is it ?. But I had learned to read a pattern , so it served it's purpose.
Wendy

Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Nellie wrote:Each one is as follows: Make a slip knot and work 6 chains, then join to make a small circle. Make 3 chains, then work 2 trebles, and then 2 chains. The square is built up of groups of 3 trebles (the first 'treble' on a new row is actually made by doing 3 chains), and each group of trebles has a single chain inbetween. Two chains are used at the corners.

:shock: OMG, do I need to learn to speak Crochetese as well???

Wendy, the bedspread is amazing )t' , and the doiley reminds me of things my nan used to do.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
wendy

Post by wendy »

This is it.
Crochet itself is really easy. But like knitting it is hard to explain. Better to have someone show you how.
Wendy

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Sunny,
If it doesn't turn out exactly right first go please don't get crochety. :-D
Sorry someone had to make the pun.
Dom