painting pictures

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

painting pictures

Post by TassieDev »

Hi all
Thought i might as well talk about a hobby!
I recently did a course on oil painting. It was something completely different for me - I think of myself as having creativity zero and manual dexterity zero so I decided to challenge myself!!

It was definitely fun, but geee its certainly a challenging skill. I have finished the course but still have plenty of gear so the challenge now is to keep practising!!!
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Your very lucky if you can paint, i come from a whole line of painters on my dads side, none of which was passed down to me, I'm rubbish utter rubbish :?
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well done, the only thing I can paint is a wall.
I would love to paint 'properly. I would also love to be able to play a musical instrument.
All the children learn to play and my eldest daughter learn classical guitar. She used to play beautifully.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

i would definitely put myself in the 'i can't paint' category!!

But i leart from doing the course that if i just forget for a while that i'm bad at painting and just keep at it even though i am thinking it's dreadful, i CAN actually improve :)

I suffer from a bad case of 'if i can't be good at something in the first 5 minutes i'm giving up'
So just the sticking at it is a good lesson for me!!

Re music yes that's something I've been meaning to get back to for ages. I played clarinet at high school and played guitar a bit (out of school but around the same time).
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I find painting in acrylics better than oils, as it dries quicker. Not being a person of untold patience, I got out the hairdrier on my last oil when the airing cupboard hadnt dried it in a week! Watercolours are even better and probably capture a moment best. I have tried different media and sometimes mix it, I love being creative with the stuff. Basically I hate the thought of spending hard earned cash on art, I just pick up ideas and try making my own. Ok so I'm no picasso, but they are all seahorse originals!! (f+ . Just develop your own style, there is no right or wrong in art, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ))sun
Looove chucks!
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I'm full of admiration for you artistic souls! My old art report from school says, "Tries hard but has no talent".
There's no cure for stupidity.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I scraped through Art A Level at College, then worked in Advertising for a number of years.

But I still can't paint, useless. I can draw and I can do some pretty nifty stuff with marker pens, but that's all.

What get's me is when people analyse Art which is just a load of paint chucked at a canvas. As soon as I see a BBC2 documentary, I say "Art ****y" time again and turn off !!

But I do appreciate people who can paint and use imagination. It's just if a picture says 'Blue Jug', I expect to see some resemblance of one !

I did Louise's bedroom wall as a scene of hills with a windy road, church in distance with clouds etc. using emulsion which I was proud of. Next time I see Helen (her Mum) I'll ask if she still has the photo

Richard

PS. Everytime I go to London I go in the National Art and National Portrait Gallery.
I do appreciate it - honest !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Painting

Post by 4 french hens »

Hi,
not very good myself, but if those top galleries will pay thousands and thousands for a pile of camel s**t, my daubins should be worth something!
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

arty skills

Post by 4 french hens »

Hi Tassie.
Fear not my friend, if the famous Tate Gallery in London will pay £30,000 for a pile of camel dung, your scrawlings MUST be worth something!
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
crazy chick
Lively Laner

Post by crazy chick »

hi Tassie I paint too ........watercolours )t' any pics?