Selling your crafts

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Selling your crafts

Post by Mo »

I'm only guessing because nothing I could make would be fit to sell. And it's ages since I went to a car boot.
But I wonder if the people who go to Car Boots are looking for cheap bargains. They might be a different, more frugal type to those who go to Craft Fairs. You have to think about the stall fee, and your time as well as the cost of materials for what you've made.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Have fun then.
It's all right if you're not trying to make a living out of it and don't get left with loads of the same thing that you can't use.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Jen, the car boot sales round here attract a lot of people from other countries, they only want cheap household stuff, toys, and clothes. You might get a different type of customer if you are in an affluent area, in which case you might get some sales. If you are not bothered about making money, give it a try, but you will have to set your prices very affordable, and even then you might only cover your costs.
Ilona
Polliesmum
Lively Laner

Post by Polliesmum »

Do some research first and I wouldn't do jewellery or cards unless it is really, really different (when I call to book stalls they are always maxed out with both). I sell at our local farmers market, craft fairs, school fetes, pamper evenings and luckily a small shop at the seaside near my beach hut, plus I have a website. It has taken almost three years to get to this point and as I personalise many items while people wait I have found a small niche in the market. I take great pride in my stall and my years of an interior designer helps. You must catch peoples eyes and draw them in. Don't get despondant if you don't sell a great deal to start with, but have a leaflet of what you do and business cards (all made on your pc) to give away and you'll be suprised how many follow up calls you will get. Boot sales, as others have said, are not really the best place to start, but it's always trial and error - a venue that has been good in the past can be dreaful next time and vice versa.. it's a funny old world.

What do you like making? What rocks your boat? Google them and see what's available - judge your quality etc., against them and go look in gift shops without your purse!!

good luck
Jane
XXX
1 rescued girlies & 2 new Orpington, 1 poofy dog, 3 kids (flown the coop) and one very long suffering husband

http://www.thebuntingcompany.com
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I agree. I am not sure that a car boot would be the right place to sell your stuff. You could try here in the Trading Post, or on ebay.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

They are really lovely Jen! :-D Good luck with finding somewhere to sell them!
I have been busy today making cushions and doorstops out of vintage fabric which I am putting in a shop in town in a few weeks time to sell!
Hope you can sort out your sewing machine soon

Ma Larkin
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

They look lovely Jen. Is your machine an embroidery one? What model do you have? I have a Brother inovis 1200 which I love. I too have been making tissue cases today :-D I am trying to build up alot of stock to possibly sell at a craft fair when I finally have enough to sell. I have my Folksy shop but it is not a very busy site. I've made a few sales but not many. I am waiting to hear if I have a little job making things for a new online shop that is opening soon.
perchy

Post by perchy »

ma larkin wrote:They are really lovely Jen! :-D Good luck with finding somewhere to sell them!
I have been busy today making cushions and doorstops out of vintage fabric which I am putting in a shop in town in a few weeks time to sell!
Hope you can sort out your sewing machine soon

Ma Larkin

Have vintage in my bedroom, do you have any for sale via post?
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

Hi Jen, mine is a computerised machine. It took me a little while to get the hang of it but it is easy once you know how. I want another machine but my husband won't let me {cry} Mine does embroidery but if I want to sew normally I can't do it until the embroidery is finished and then change it over to a normal sewing machine. They are very expensive but well worth the money in my opinion. Mine cost £1200 three years ago but was well worth it in my opinion. My husband may differ of opinion there though!!

I haven't updated my folksy shop for a long time as I have been making lots of things for family and myself lately.

I have entered the patchwork cushions that are on my blog in a competition and they are in second place )t' I'm quite chuffed about that. The judging closes on the 25th so we'll see, I might not come anywhere yet.

I have been sewing this morning too and have now run out of velcro }hairout{ I desperately need it but it is raining so hard my garden is flooded and I'm not sure I want to go into town on the bus to get it....if I don't I can't do anymore sewing though }hairout{ maybe I will go, if I don't get it today I will have to get it tomorrow....

BTW yes I am Sharon )t'