An idea to brighten up the garden

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

An idea to brighten up the garden

Post by Meanqueen »

I dug up a couple of leggy bushes from my front garden and planted two more to fill the gaps. But what to do with those now dead lumps of wood. It seems a shame to throw them, so I decided to give them a new lease of life. Here are my bushes, reborn, standing proud at the front of the house. Adds a bit of colour.

Also, I have a large plant at the back like a yucca, that sheds it's leaves from the bottom as it grows taller. Shame to throw the brown leaves away. Paint them.

The paint I got from Woolies closing down sale, 4p a pot, I knew there would be a use for them.
Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: An idea to brighten up the garden

Post by kate egg »

You never cease to amaze me with your creativity!
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I love the leaves. Would also work with phormium ( new zealand flax) they never rot and are tough as old boots so a great idea. Perhaps you could weave them into a mat?
The bushes would be good for xmas decorations - or given your german connections- with easter eggs hanging from them.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

You're right about the bushes, maybe I could leave a few more twiggy bits to hang things from. )t'
Ilona
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

What a great idea! I'm doing lots of hacking at the moment, took a carful to the dump the other day, but will save the next lot for a frugal Xmas tree!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Very colourful and inventive I have to say Ilona. Without knocking the art form in any way, I think it may detract me from my morning Tai Chi though!
I love nature's own colours with no interference, but agree with Sunny that it could be something good for Christmas, that's the time of the year I like to be brightened up !!

You are forming your own 'style' with this and other things, have you thought of getting things displayed in your local Arts Centre or somewhere?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Richard, I have had a few negative comments on my blog about putting these things in my front garden. I agree that nature is beautiful, but I see no boundaries when it comes to artwork. I like to experiment with total opposites, to discover if they can work in harmony, or fight against each other. My mind is open to any combinations, I don't rule anything out.

I have got a piece in our local art centre, which you have just reminded me about , it needs picking up because the exhibition finished on Saturday. It is very difficult to get anything in there as they are booked up a year in advance. I might try somewhere else.
Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

Why not indeed Ilona.

They moaned in Florence when they put loads of Sir Henry Moore Statues in a Florentine Park, but it's seen now as a masterpiece of 'old and new' culture. I've been there many times (2nd wife from Florence) and have to say I thought it's horrible!!

Nothing is everyone's cup of tea, life would be very boring if that were so. I'm saying there is a slot for everyone. The fact that people are talking about your garden says something. It's one's interpretation of everything.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

You're right Richard, I see some art and I think that's awful, but it has provoked a reaction which is the point of it. You either love it or hate it. When I am out walking and I turn a corner, and there is something amazing in front of me, that's what I like, the element of surprise, something I wasn't expecting. That's why I like to make up my own routes rather than tread the paths that a million others have done before. Which reminds me, I should be gone now, off to Yorkshire for a couple of days. :-D
Ilona
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Why take stuff to the tip when so much can be recycled. My council give us a green bin for recycling garden stuff. If it is burnable it gets recycled into my fireplace.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I agree Granny. I think also we have to look at everything we are throwing away and pause to think if it has any other usage.

The secret though is to do whatever it is there and then or you become a hoarder and put yourself forward for a slot in 'Life of Grime'.

Maybe we have to acknowledge other peoples view of art even if we don't like it ourselves. You can please some of the people.........etc.

Richard )t'
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Well I thinkt hey are lovely, Ilona. And they could have another use if they survive the winter - you could use them as supports for climbing plants.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

my local tip has a huge skip for garden stuff - doesn't matter if it is weeds, trees, trimmings etc and it is like a giant steaming compost heap that never seems to fill up to the top. We also have fortnightly garden waste collections (the recycle bin is emptied on the Monday which can be filled up for collection on Tuesdays) but is just not big enough when tackling the privet hedge.

Last year I saved several straight twigs and branches and used them this year as pea sticks and stakes for the tomatoes and best of all, they were free instead of having to buy a load of canes.

Meanqueen wrote:I have had a few negative comments on my blog about putting these things in my front garden

What do they know? When you consider how many front gardens have been turned into concrete driveways or left unattended and become weedy eyesores, I cannot see why anyone would object to someone making an effort. I bet someone looking at your garden will be inspired by what you have done. I really love the coloured leaves and think they are brilliant. Instead of bright colours (blues, turquoise, pink etc) subtle tones of yellow, orange, red and browns would make lovely autumnal colours and may appear a little more "natural".