Stencilling

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Stencilling

Post by ma larkin »

Has anyone had a go at Stencilling? I would like to attempt some on furniture. I have order a few stencils and was shocked at how expensive they were. Luckily I got them in the sale. so to be honest I want to do them well! Any tips would be great,

Ma Larkin
perchy

Re: Stencilling

Post by perchy »

I did some years ago..honest!! I remember having to build colour to the stencils rather than putting full colour on if you know what I mean, several layers rather than blocks, I know what I mean {rofwl} I did poppies :-D
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I went mad in a previous house with an Ivy and a Wisteria stencils..as you say they are expensive and I wanted my money's worth. :-D ...well by the time I'd finished I had stenciling in nearly every room.. :oops: {rofwl}
anyhow.. one tip is make sure you clean the stencil between each stenciling otherwise the paint smudges.....good luck!! it's addictive. )t'
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

OOHHH!!! Thank you! It is very much back in fashion apparently!! It was very big in the eighties was'nt it!?! Is that when you did yours Perchy :-D {rofwl}
Ivy and Wisteria sounds fab. Like you Jannie, I can imagine myself getting carried away :oops: I got a couple of 'toile de jouy' and some ivy.

Ma Larkin
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

ma larkin wrote: It was very big in the eighties was'nt it!?! Is that when you did yours Perchy :-D {rofwl}

Hahahaha Ma ..I did mine in the eighties too... {rofwl}
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

jannie wrote:
ma larkin wrote: It was very big in the eighties was'nt it!?! Is that when you did yours Perchy :-D {rofwl}

HA!HA!HA!I guessed as much!!! {rofwl} {rofwl} It's funny how the eighties are back! I never thought it would happen. I hated the eighties except shoulder pads. I LOVE shoulder pads! Maybe we should start a new thread...
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Funny you should say that I bought 2 cheapy long sleeved tops in t@sco last week and I didn't notice till I tried them on but they've got shoulder pads in.. yike*
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I have to admit that I too did some stencilling in the 80s :oops: .
I brought a book of them, as I recall I cut them out with a scalpel (or craft knife ) to ensure the edges were precise and then oiled them with linseed oil to seal them and stop the paint soaking in. - Art nouveux lillies and macintosh style roses.
The eighties were rubbish mostly (apart from the arrival of my two boys of course) )t' And definately not long enough ago to be due a revival!
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
perchy

Post by perchy »

jannie wrote:

I am watching you pair......80's indeed )gr:
painterman
Lively Laner

Post by painterman »

jannie wrote:Funny you should say that I bought 2 cheapy long sleeved tops in t@sco last week and I didn't notice till I tried them on but they've got shoulder pads in.. yike*

hi i bought a nice shirt from one of them discount quality seconds outlets. it was only £12 pound from £45 . the only problem was one sleeve was slightly longer than the other two {rofwl} . about stencaling have you tried printing images off the internet and buying some craft plastic sheets and cutting the images out with a craft knife.but u must be carefull!
its much cheaper than getting ripped off at the diy stores at £5 pound a go.
oh and them grape designs i remember them. my partner plasted that across our living room. it looked like a greek taverna out of mamma mia {rofwl}
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

I have just purchased a vine and grape stencil Painterman!! :oops: )gr: HA!HA! :-D
painterman
Lively Laner

Post by painterman »

Hi . yes thats alright as i think ur more artistic than the average mere mortal )t'
just dont get carried away {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I bought ivy stencils for above the skirting board up the stairs in the 80s. Never got round to it!

However, I did stencil yellow and blue shells above the bathroom sink tiles and around the bath. I also did some on a wooden tub in the bathroom to match in. I used a sponge and matchpots. It worked really well
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

A woman I know runs this place http://www.stencil-library.co.uk/ Her house is amazing!
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Dinchy wrote:A woman I know runs this place http://www.stencil-library.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Her house is amazing!

My friend had recommended this company! I have had a go at making my own. A CHICKEN of course!! :-D