My Little Ponies!

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

My Little Ponies!

Post by Shlugh »

Okay,

I've been here a few weeks sharing all of your love of hens, veggie plots, hunting for bargains, and want to share my one and only "vice" with you all.

I collect My Little Pony toys, (Dom rumbled me on day one!), kudos to him for that.

I have over 1,000, but haven't counted for a while, they are mostly the vintage 80's ones but also the modern ones. I have common ones and rare ones, and unusual varients from around the world. Here's a small taste of my herd,

If any of you have any unanswered questions about the world of vinyl ponies, I'm happy to help. Lol! If you would like just to gawp, please feel free. I freely admit I'm on the madder side of normal.

Shlugh xx
[center]We now have a cream egg skelter, blessings on Pippi, Penny and Poppy who fill it for us.[/center]
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Re: My Little Ponies!

Post by ma larkin »

:-D :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW!!! You must have a room full of them!! Goodness me, how many have you got?!?

Ma Larkin
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

That's amazing...I will have to show my granddaughter this picture....her mummy thinks she's obsessed with a collection of 24... {rofwl}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

WOW! That is an amazing collection. How long has it taken you to collect all those?

I always blamed My Little Ponies for getting one of my daughters into the real thing LOL.

Glad I dont live at your house, all that dusting!
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

Post by Shlugh »

Thanks guys!

Ma, I have honestly lost count how many I actually have!!!

That sounds bad, but with my little girls play herd, my main herd and my boxes of ponies for sale to go to the annual My Little Pony convention next month, I don't have an exact number. My actual collection is just over 1,000 at the last count about 5 months ago.

They are round the walls of the study. That big shelf was made by my lovely hubby from recycled MDF. The other side has big bookcases with normal books and office stuff at the bottom, and more ponies at the top.

Jannie, I had about 10 in my collection as a child, the obsession started later. Lol! My daughter has her own wee herd for playing with too.

Gwen, I make use of an ostrich feather wand for dusting, and give them a wipe down and re-arrange every 6 months or so. That takes a whole weekend.

I've been collecting 26 years, since I was given my first one for my 10th birthday the year they came out. Most of the huge herd have been collected in the last 6-7 years though. I had the bug for anything pony even before starting to collect the MLP, but I've always wondered if they influenced my love for Highland ponies.

See? The top one is Minty, the MLP that started it all, and the bottom on is Kizzy, the Highland pony I rode and cared for for several years.

Shlugh xx
[center]We now have a cream egg skelter, blessings on Pippi, Penny and Poppy who fill it for us.[/center]
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Are they all different?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That is an amazing collection, hang on to them, they could be your pension. :-D
Ilona
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

Post by Shlugh »

Yes Mo, all the ones on the shelf are different.

Hard to explain, but the ponies were often made in different countries, so there can be say a French, Spanish, Italian, Argentinian, Mexican and Greek version of one pony, so sometimes it looks like several are the same, but they have a subtle difference depending on the country of origin.

My daughter has some duplicates, I've let her collect her favourites, and as me and my whole family pick them up at boot sales and stuff, I do have boxes of doubles that I sell on flea-bay or once a year at the convention.

What I sell does in fact cover my collecting costs, if that makes sense. If I buy manky cheap ponies at a boot sale, I'm a dab hand at washing them and making them pretty again to sell at a modest profit, that pays for the ones I want to collect. If I find a rare one............ (I can dream, right?)

Ilona, they could well be a handy pension! I'll see what the market is like in another 30 years or so. Lol!

It is funny, I am selling a batch of ones I dont need at the moment on flea-bay to try raise the funds for an automatic pop hole closer for my girlies.

Shlugh xx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

So I was right. MLP's ARE responsible for my daughters love/collection of the real life ones then. I just knew it and I only have myself to blame for that, as I was the person that bought her them..........sigh...........

How come you havent ended up with a real one of your own on a permanent basis then? LOL

So tell me, what is the most you have paid for one MLP then? You can PM if you want LOL.
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

Post by Shlugh »

I don't have a real one at the moment due to finance, time and being very overweight, not good for riding!!!!!

I would love to though. When Kizzy's mum decided to sell her, I had first refusal, but had just bought my first flat and just couldn't afford it. It still torments me 14 years on, as she was a smashing pony, a bit sharp and cheeky, but great for an adult.

The most I've ever spent on a My Little Pony. Ummm. I'm embarassed to say this on a frugal living forum, but I spent a tad over £350 on a mint on card rare varient Spanish pony. Gulp!

That was some years ago, and I could not dream of that extravagance now. Things are a deal tighter now.

Shlugh xx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Aww thats a pity, as you obviously loved her very much.

You need a Shire, they can carry weight..........not saying you are grossly overweight, just going by what you said. )w(

If you were looking for a pony now, some are selling for what you bought your MLP for which is amazing when you think of it.

Can you put a piccie up of the errrrm, more expensive purchase? LOL
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's not what it costs to buy ponies that is the problem.
Your collection don't eat much, and only need a few shelves for stabling, and a bowl of washing-up liquid instead of vet and blacksmith costs.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

Post by Shlugh »

Yes, it's more the upkeep that scares me too, not the initial outlay.

Lol! The last horse I was on was a shire cross cob that somebody loaned me for a try while my husband was riding his friend's horse. Seriously though, I could do to lose 3-4 stones to get back to a reasonable weight, but that's what the diet is for. :-D

This is the only pic I had handy of Spanish Minty, I'll try get a better one later. She really is quite special, as she has "beddy bye" blinky eyes like a dolly instead of painted ones.

Shlugh xx
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Oh no! You should have put this post up a few weeks ago! I cleared our attic out because we sold our house and gave 2 boxes full of MLP's to the charity shop. They were all over 20yrs old and bought in Germany!
If only I'd known you collected them, I could have send them all to you :?
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
Shlugh
Longlasting Laner

Post by Shlugh »

Never mind.

At least they went to a charity shop and not landfill, so somebody will have benefitted from them. I know that Oxfam and a few other clued up charities research vintage toys and collectables and will get them on flea-bay for maximum pennies for their charity. :-D

Germany is an interesting country for collectors, they had a lot of unique ponies that did not appear anywhere else, like a special set of babies and variation rainbow ponies. It also seems that a lot of the "made in Italy" ponies were sold there, but on German cards with German writing. I think I only have one German pony in my herd.

Sorry, I could bore the pants off anyone with my ponies. :oops:

On a good note, my flea-bay auctions are already bid up to half the cost of a pop hole opener. :-D

Shlugh xx