Freestyle Dance

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
ClareD
Lively Laner

Freestyle Dance

Post by ClareD »

My two daughters are both competing freestyle dancers and most of my spare time *sigh* , ALL of my spare time is given over to their hobby !
Amy is 12 and needs 2 more wins to move into intermediate level and she has been dancing since the age of 7. She is an amazing dancer and very competative, is on the dance floor to win and eat, breathes and sleeps dance !
Charlotte is almost 10 and has been dancing for 3 years and is in beginner level but this is because she hasnt got a competative bone in her body, bless her !!
To Charlotte its a day out with her friends, to put on a pretty costume and makeup and to meet other dancers from all over the country.

Freestyle competitions usually involve 4 or 5 dances, rock & roll, solo dance, pairs dance, sometimes a team dance and either slow dance or street dance / hiphop.
If you make it through to a final you are then asked to do a 'spot' where you have to dance on your own or with your partner in front of the judges ! Scary !!
Everything is graded as to ability and age and costumes are designed to reflect your level eg. the higher the level the 'blingier' the costume.
They compete once or twice a month all over the north of england and train twice a week at least which is a 2 hour round trip.
I have become an expert in hair and make up and my husband is the false eyelash king ( how worrying !! )
I also spend spare time designing, altering and washing costumes which is no mean feat believe me and some of these costumes are VERY expensive !

This is a link to some of the best freestyle dancers there are performing in Norway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSL7f01YExQ&feature=related

Enjoy !!
ClareD
Lively Laner

Re: Freestyle Dance

Post by ClareD »

And this is a clip of some slow dance finalists
( always gives me goosebumps when my girls compete in slow dance !! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVZ33AqUG4k&feature=fvw
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I know the costumes for Irish dancing are very costly, and there is some controversy about the curls (I think some even wear wigs).

I'm torn on this one. Great that they have a hobby they enjoy, shame it becomes a fashion show with all the commercial pressures.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
ClareD
Lively Laner

Post by ClareD »

Ouch !!

I think both my daughters' dedication, commitment and devotion to dance, coupled with their talent qualifies them for a little more than a 'fashion show' ?
We do however come across those who really dont like freestyle dance and all it entails and respect their opinion.
Thank you for looking.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Both of my girls dance Freestyle too. They are 6 and 8yrs old now and started in March this year. They both love it and have their first competition on the 24th of October. Bless them, they are so nervous already!
My girls are a bit like yours, one absolutely lives for dancing the other one it's just a bit of fun. There's me secretly hoping it'll stay that way (it'll be a lot cheaper!)
Both need new dance shoes already, oh and leotards, shimmer tights ect ect ect yike*

just watched the video...WOW those girls are good aren't they? Saved it so my girls can watch it later when they come home from school!
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
ClareD
Lively Laner

Post by ClareD »

Good luck for their first dance competition red_angel.
They are all braver than I'd ever be to get up and perform and I'm sure you'll be the proudest mum in the room when they dance.
I still am, years and years after that first dance !

We have a competition this Sunday in Manchester so preparations already underway - its good to be prepared when you have 2 of them dancing.
They have friends attending from Scotland that they havent seen for 6 months so my two are very excited.
I do like the social side of dance as well as just competing, good to natter with other mums.
Please let me know how your two get on in a couple of weeks ?
Fingers crossed for them all >fi<
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Thank you Claire, good luck for sunday )t'
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
manda

Post by manda »

WOW...I feel tired just watching those videos! Oh how I envy their flexibility )grin2(

I'm not sure that the "issue" with the costumes is any different than it was years ago...I did ballroom dancing when I was younger (tried ballet but just couldn't get the Polka and so that was the end of my career in ballet! {rofwl} )...then later ice skating / ice dancing.....the dresses for that were on the same basis...if you are doing it as a hobby and are not so competitive then you don't spend so much but if you get up there in the competition and proficiency stakes then the bling is expected...it's all part of it.
I think it's the same in most things ...a hobby requires the basics but once you get more serious about something you invest more time and money into it...

I think it's fantastic that your girls are committed to something they enjoy and that Amy has taken it onto the next level....they're not hanging around the streets or malls getting bored and getting into trouble...and good on you for supporting them because it's a heck of a commitment on your part too )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

ClareD wrote:Ouch !!

I think both my daughters' dedication, commitment and devotion to dance, coupled with their talent qualifies them for a little more than a 'fashion show' ?
We do however come across those who really dont like freestyle dance and all it entails and respect their opinion.
Thank you for looking.

Sorry, I wasn't 'getting at' your girls. I was more thinking of the Irish dance scene that I know a bit more about. And, as i said the 'commercial pressure' that means you can't do well unless you conform and 'look right'
And I did say I was torn, not anti the dance itself.
ClareD
Lively Laner

Post by ClareD »

Of course Mo....I'm so sorry {hug}
I should have read it properly - many apologies.

Freestlye dance gets slated so much for the costumes and the tans and the makeup that people dont see ( or choose not to see ) the real talent that these dancers have.
I suppose I'm very protective ( or touchy ) about it !

Of course, as with any hobby come the pushy mums and the spiteful children but I have yet to encounter any in our dance school and the day my girls stop having fun is the day we stop dance.
I'm certainly not fulfilling any of my dreams through my children as you can see some certainly are !

By the way Mo, my daughter would have done brilliantly at Irish as she has the most flaming red hair that curls beautifully !!
I have seen the price of the Irish dance costumes yike* and this mode of dance is HUGE in America isnt it ?
I apologise again for my tetchy nature, another redhead I'm afraid !

Clare ~xx~
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

ClareD wrote:the day my girls stop having fun is the day we stop dance.
Clare ~xx~

Well that says it all. They will have so many happy memories of things you have done as a family.