New something to learn

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
manda

New something to learn

Post by manda »

A while back I said I wanted to learn to spin....but as spinning wheels are expensive I have resisted buying one keeping an eye out for a second hand one (we have an auction site called Trade Me here in New Zealand which is a bit like our version of ebay).
Today I was having a browse as you do..we had just got back in from picking up our two new Gotland girls and I found this .....

It's an Ashford Traditional Spinning wheel and they only wanted $85 ..normally they are over $500 new and this one had extra bits with it that would have cost another $150 or there abouts...so I am very pleased.

Now I've got 5 sheep who I'm going to be able to have wool from every year ...the lovely Gotland ewes (they have lovely silky wool), LOL (who is a corriedale / perendale we're not sure yet although it's starting to look like Corriedale - they have a thicker wool) and Margo who is a Cormo (Corriedale Merino cross - also good wool and lots of it)....so I'm going to have a good supply just from them I just need to get my butt into gear and learn this spinning thing....if anyone has any good advice I will happily soak up any knowledge you may care to offer...in the meantime I feel there is going to be a lot of practice going on )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: New something to learn

Post by rhubarb93 »

Good for you! envy}} Would love to be able to spin and knit wool from my own sheep. Enjoy!
manda

Post by manda »

Well Rhubarb I've sat and just spun the wheel and got the feel of using the treadle ....actually quite relaxing.
I need to get the fleeces washed and dried, I've got some carders on order and then I suppose I will find out how relaxing it is once I have to coordinate my hands and feet at the same time ....I'll let you know ! :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

How exciting for you Manda! Quite aside from the practical aspect of spinning from your home produced fleece, the fact you managed to get exactly what you wanted a such a bargain price is wonderful, along with your new hobby too!

Win-win-win I think! )c( )c( )c(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Well done Manda, what a bargain. )t'
You should have just enough time to master spinning so you can send Helen a ball of wool to knit me a hat in time for next christmas. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

You'll have lovely soft hands as well. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

It is always nice to be able to learn something g new rather than keep plodding along with the same old thing. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. )t'
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

God luck with it.

Reminds me of Margo in the Good Life.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Until your carders arrive you'll just have to try a couple of large paddle hair brushes. :-D
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Sara

Post by Sara »

Looks great Manda )t'

You will soon be making absolutly everything :-D
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Now thats what I call a bargain, well done you for waiting patiently. You see, everything does come to those who wait. )t'
manda

Post by manda »

Found some cheap carders so ordered them...now just got to wash the fleeces...back to work tonight for 4 nights so might have to do that on my next days off.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

WOW! Lucky lucky you! How exciting. Can't wait to hear how you get on with it. Have you done spinning before?
manda

Post by manda »

No Ma...never!!.....Should be interesting eh?
Hey it's either going to be the beginning of a wonderful experience that I find productive and relaxing or gut wrenching stress as I wind myself up in wool {rofwl} (there will be no pictures if it's the last! )grin2( )
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

manda wrote:No Ma...never!!.....Should be interesting eh?
Hey it's either going to be the beginning of a wonderful experience that I find productive and relaxing or gut wrenching stress as I wind myself up in wool {rofwl} (there will be no pictures if it's the last! )grin2( )

HA!HA! I look forward to hearing all about it...and pics of course!