making something from nothing

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

A word of caution, if I may, Meanqueen.

Many carrier bags are now biodegradable - they start falling apart after a few months, especially if they get wet. So unless you are using old bags, you may find your knitting disintegrates!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thanks Nellie, something I admit I didn't think of, but, I have had the charity bags for ages, and I bought the carrier bags for my business about 5 years ago. There are some that are so thin you would never use them.

Ilona
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

We have saved all the colourful wrappers from Q street chocs, want to make something but cant think what yet.
Great handbag Ilona.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Jim's grandmother decorated her Christmas tree with things like that. Flowers from sweet wrappers, bells from milk tops. And (slightly dusty) crackers that had been unwrapped and rewrapped instead of pulled.

I used to make Christmas decorations with the playgroup. They had a darning needle of thread and a selection of milk tops, sweet wrappers, tissue paper circles (I cheated there and bought them) etc, plus plastic straws washed after use and chopped into 1/4 inch lengths (watch out they fly everywhere). The theory was to put flat bits and straws alternately. Very good practise at 'fine motor co-ordination' too, so that should keep OFSTED happy.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Mo,
Next year try cutting the "cup" bits out of egg boxes, cover them in silver foil to make jingle bells that won't drive you nuts!! Also cut out a siple doll shape from paper, stick on cut-out hand prints for skirt and wings,a nd scraps of wool for hair. stick a toilet roll tube ont he back et voila! one fairy for on top of the tree.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like the fairy doll idea.
I'll have to wait to try it as I retired from Playgroup a while back, and my grandson won't be old enough to do anything except look next year. (We thought he'd be with us for this Christmas, but he was born yesterday evening).

Just thought of something we did with wrappers. Stained glass windows. Adult needs to cut bits out of a piece of card leaving a framework that the wrappers can be stuck on with pva glue. If you want to be tidy trim each piece after sticking to avoid overlaps. If you are really fussy do two identical frames, and stick the other one on to make a sandwich and hide all the edges. Hang up in a window or with a light behind it.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Aww congratulations Mo!! Have just had a wee cuddle of my colleague's 6 week old grand-daughter, so tiny!!
I used to work in a nursery and I really miss the pre-school group, I used to have so much fun with them, loved showing them how to make "something out of nothing".
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Tee light holder

Post by Meanqueen »

I have just made this tee light holder, it took me 10 minutes. Take one coke tin, cut the top off about an inch from the top. Get a big pair of scissors and cut the main body into downward narrow strips. Pull each strip from the bottom upwards with finger and thumb (carefull), and it curls outwards. Take the top, again cut strips but don't curl them, mould it to fit inside the bottom of the can, that's it. You could cut the bottom off and discard it and use the can upside down. I think a lot of them together would look nice.
Photobucket

PS I didn't buy the tin of coke, I found the empty tin in the street, he he, so it cost nowt.

Ilona
:-D
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Goodness me Illona, what will you come up with next :shock:
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

A jewellery box, made out of a cereal box. I covered it with upholstery samples that my brother gave me 18 years ago when he worked in a furniture store. The inside is a fur fabric, all hand sewn by me.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Ilona
)t'
Hawthorn
Lively Laner

Post by Hawthorn »

Evie wrote:We have saved all the colourful wrappers from Q street chocs, want to make something but cant think what yet.
Great handbag Ilona.

Get some card and make stained glass windows with the kids (if you have them)
'Some family trees are full of nuts'
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Ilona you are so clever they are both lovely!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Bag is finished

Post by Meanqueen »

My knitted bag is finished. It took eleven charity bags. The dimensions are 15" high, 10" wide, with a gusset of 4". I did the handles seperate (3 stitches) and put the whole lot together using a redicut rug pegger. I will give it a try out on my next shopping trip, but it looks very strong. Cost? Nowt.
Photobucket

Ilona
:-D
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Illona you never cease to amaze me with what you think up )t'
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I agree that looks brill! )t'

Well done you!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"