buying a boat!

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
madmum
Legendary Laner

buying a boat!

Post by madmum »

Hubbs and i have found a boat for sale just up the river from us )c( .It has long been a wish of ours to "do up "either a small boat or camper van etc and we would do it as an investment that could possibly be sold with the house since we are on the river . In this present climate of make do and mend do you think wewould ever get our money back?It is only a small 4 birth cruiser type that is in need of some TLC.
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Mad Chick

Re: buying a boat!

Post by Mad Chick »

I have no idea about the financial side of things but....
envy}}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! envy}} envy}} So lucky :-D Can't wait to hear all about your trips!
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

as far as I know boats hold their value pretty well, although you do have to bear in mind mooring costs and BWB licences. Good luck and enjoy messing about on the river )t'
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I understood the property backed onto the water - so no mooring fees. )t'
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Just be aware boats can soak up money like a sponge!

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Yeah .and i have only got a little sponge {cry}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Emmachuck
Lively Laner

Post by Emmachuck »

Sounds like a fantastic thing to do! I love projects where you can restore something to its former glory. Go for it and have fun doing it )t' .

Emma
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

My OH has 2 boats, a 40 yr old Broom which is a speedboat, it goes well but he is currently restoring it to it's former glory,paintwise etc, he paid £1000 for it 3 years ago..and its still worth that money so yes they hold their value. He also has a sailing boat, no idea what make ( not into boats personally) but that's also being done up but that will be to sell, he bought it for £ 250 and when it's had it's restoration he is hoping to get around £1200 for it.

Have fun!

It's a good way to get a bit of peace and quiet... )run(
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

I say to hell with it! if its always been your dream then you should go for it, there is nothing worse than looking back on your life and wishing you had done things differently, regrets are a terrible thing )t'
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanks all. )t' You know how it is heart ruling head :oops: We would be in a position to buy the boat and hubbs could restore it.Our future is so uncertain that i dont know what to do }hairout{ the money OUGHT to be saved for future rent but it could always be resold if needed and would not lose us money +confused+ I dont need to give my mother anything else to moan about )gr:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You can always send the kids to live on it if friction at home got bad.

Just think of the parties they could have.....Hmmm perhaps not such a good idea.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

My daughters first thought was cool sleepovers )t'
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Hi Madmum,

have seen that boat and am not so sure it's good value at the price they're asking. Consider a much reduced offer and investigate the mooring fees, reason is the river opposite your house. If it comes under the middle level drainage board, I think there would be no fees to pay for moorings or use of the river.

Also ask about putting in your own jetty, lots of folk along there have, but at what cost and how many hoops did they have to jump through to be able to put one up?

Prepare bare wood and varnish in may, never before. 1st coat 50/50 with thinners, then reduce the thinners for the next three coats. Then a coat of undilluted varnish, rub down gently when dry with 160 grit glasspaper and wipe with a tack-rag to remove any dust. Make a tack rag using a piece of old sheet about 2'x2' and a spoonful of neat varnish in the middle, fold and squeeze untill the outside is sticky. Tac-rag is ready for use.

Lastly, remember the boat fire just down river and how the papers reported that as arson. Insurance is good, but when not in a marina or on your own mooring on your property, premiums tend to be expensive.

Oh and when you go cruising, (ditch crawling in the fens), you have to have the cool box containing the sparkly and the HUGE wine glasses to wave at the speeding motorists beside the sixteen foot. Drain it at your leisure! )t' {warn}

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanks mike,,,Hubbs has spoken to the guy selling the boat and he found the price tag in the garage from a car he sold and put it on to test the water!!!!He is open to offers .....We shall know who to ask for advice if we do take the plunge )t'