Genealogy

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Genealogy

Post by Lillia »

Is anyone familiar with Baintree, please? Is there anything historically interesting to see? Thanks~
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Genealogy

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Never heard of it. Did you by any chance mean Braintree in Essex?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Never heard of it. Did you by any chance mean Braintree in Essex?
Dom

Yes, that's it!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

I'm researching my GGGgrandfather, John Bridge, of Braintree.
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

You said that a relation of yours was Irish,do you know what part he was from?
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

paddy graham wrote:You said that a relation of yours was Irish,do you know what part he was from?

Marion Conner was a gggrandfather and grandma said he was from Ireland...I think it was actually his parents who were from Ireland and I only wish I had more info, Paddy. My grandma says the name was O'Connor but they changed it to Conner.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Paddy, my gt gt gt grandparents were from Co. Kerry. They were in london by the 1830s though.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

The 1901 and 1911 Irish census is online free. Just put 1911 Irish census and its there. Its harder to get Irish records before that as the Government made them burn their records. I caught lucky by going to the church in Ballinrobe and the priest got all the record books back to 1850. Strange that Irish 1911 is so easily accessible but UK has only parts of England.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have more or less given up on my Irish side. I do feel sad about it, but have no-where to go with it really.

I really intend to do a bit more, although I have around 3,000 people in my tree at present.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Maggie1 wrote:The 1901 and 1911 Irish census is online free. Just put 1911 Irish census and its there. Its harder to get Irish records before that as the Government made them burn their records. I caught lucky by going to the church in Ballinrobe and the priest got all the record books back to 1850. Strange that Irish 1911 is so easily accessible but UK has only parts of England.

What a shame...what I need would be 1800's. You got lucky, there, Maggie1.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Well unless you know exactly what town they came from, you'll not get it unless you can read the parish records at that church or pay a family history society to find it, but that could work out very expensive. Thats Ireland if its England the 1881 census is free unless you go to the records office and then its all free.
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Lillia and Helen,a magazine called Irelands Own may be of help to you as long as you have a starting point,they frequently have requests from around the world and have been successful many times.Lillia,you have a name to start,if you could find an area,thats a start.Helen you have an area,do you have a name.
Even Obama had an greatx3or4 times grandfather from Co.Offally,who got friendly with a girl over Africa way.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh yes, I have a name....but unfortunately, it's a very common one in that area - William Twiss. He was born between 1800-1812 (census ages }hairout{ ) in co Kerry. He was a soap boiler when he was in London.

His wife, Catherine Lynch, was born in Co Kerry too - 1812 approx.
Helen xx

paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

As you probably know ,the name Twiss originated in Northumberland about 1066,not long after some emigrated to Ireland to land that was given to them for "services rendered".Will try and find a bit more out later as just looked on a page of common names for Co.Kerry and cant find that name.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Paddy, thank you for the info~ I'll check that out.
Funny about Obama.