HELP PLEASE CIRCULAR KNITTING

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Hellebore
Lively Laner

HELP PLEASE CIRCULAR KNITTING

Post by Hellebore »

I am a reasonably competent two needle knitter but have never knitted 'in the round' before. I have found a gorgeous pattern for hand warmers will a frill round the wrist in worsted wool. My problem is that the pattern is American and they are knitted with circular needles but I can't even understand what the requirements are in terms of needles. I thought circular knitting involved using one of those needles with a long plastic 'string' joining them however this pattern requires 1 x 16 4mm (us6) circular needle + 2 x 24 4mm (us6) circular needle plus one 5mm (us8) double pointed needle. Apart from the double pointed needle I am at a total loss as to what they mean and that is even before I have started any knitting!!! If anyone out there can offer me any advice I really would be most grateful :-D
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: HELP PLEASE CIRCULAR KNITTING

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Have you got a link to the pattern?
Do you know how to knit in the round using dpns (double pointed needles)?

The pattern is asking for a 16" long circular needle that is 4mm in diameter, and two 24" long circular needles of the same diameter.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Hellebore
Lively Laner

Post by Hellebore »

Thanks LittleBrownFrog. Many years ago I knitted something using 4 double ended ended needles, the knitting being divided equally between 3 of the needles and the 4th used to knit them with. Sorry I don't have a link to the pattern but I could try and scan it? I can't for the life of me see how it is possible to knit 'in the round' with the stitches divided between 2 double ended needles +confused+
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Because the double-ended needles in this case are flexible, so the cable part of the needle bends. I'll try to find you a video tutorial or something, because it's easier to see it rather than me trying to describe.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Here you go - does that help? You can of course just use dpns to knit the handwarmer.
Hellebore
Lively Laner

Post by Hellebore »

Thank you so much I will have a look when they have switched the TV off and I can concentrate!! It makes more sense now that you have explained that the needles are flexible. When I said I am reasonably competent i didnt mean that I am good enough to convert knitting patterns, way too hard for my simple brain! Many thanks for your help :-D
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

No problem - shout if you get stuck & I'll try to help.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I'm a knitter too, and have done a lot of circular knitting with 4 double-pointed needles. Also with the needles with the plastic string for larger items. I have never heard of flexible needles so this is particularly interesting. Let us know what you think of it once you've tried it. If it's not too difficult, I'd like to give it a try. I haven't knitted for a few years, kind of got more into crocheting with yarn (afghans, pillows, etc) but you've got me thinking I should go up in the attic and get down that big tote full of worsted weight yarn I've got stored up there. Must be thirty or forty skeins at least. Many colors.