Frugal Sewing

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Frugal Sewing

Post by albertajune »

I have sewn for years. At first for neccessity when my children were young. Then I went to jumble sales, bought 2nd hand clothing that was unpicked, washed and made into clothes.
Now I sew for pleasure. My main source for material is from shops that sell good remnants. From curtaining remnants or odd curtains, I have made everything from waistcoats to cushions and pretty shoulder bags. A couple of bags made from sturdy linen, hold my potatoes and onions. Any scraps go into soft doll making.
I have just bought from a curtain making shop, enough great quality, end of roll curtaining for £30. Enough to cover the 5 large cushions on the back of my sofa. It was a third of the normal price. I may even have enough to recover a roller blind.
I am like some of you and can't throw away anything that is good enough to be reused.
That's why I have a large box full of material waiting to be used, a pretty box full of buttons, which are sometimes used for decorating, a box of ribbons and lace and one of cord tape, elastic and bindings.
There really aren't enough hours in a day to do all I want to do.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Something made recently from an oddment and lined with an oddment that I already had. The bit of velcro for closing was in my odds and sods box. To keep my old boy warm
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Ha! June, I love it! That's good work and so cute~ )t' :-D
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Lovely warm coat, my sons partner has just splashed the cash on a hideous shocking pink one plus lead for her puppy! None of us can see my son taking Tinkerbelle for a walk!

I haven't made a dresses and skirts for several years now, made nighties and pyjamas for my children in the 60's. Grandmother's sewing machine is over one hundred years old - a hand Singer, land is more reliable than my dear late mil's more modern electric.

My wonderful neighbour, another economy devotee, makes all the costumes for her daughter's dancing school. Two weeks since I was drooling over a tutu with a panel of rhinestones, each one applied singly. She is ultra talented, her only training a short session with a costumier many years since. Neighbour's new fireplace was made from her old kitchen cupboards. A girl after my own heart.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Interesting, Spreckly. I had a hundred and so year old Singer once~
I really want to make myself a nightgown, without a pattern...... yike* and some PJ-like trousers~
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Lillia wrote:Interesting, Spreckly. I had a hundred and so year old Singer once~
I really want to make myself a nightgown, without a pattern...... yike* and some PJ-like trousers~

Lillia, there are loads of free patterns of all sorts on the internet. I downloaded a couple of craft ones yesterday. I'm sure that you are very capable of making your nighty and PJ bottome without the pattern. Making sure that you make the back of the PJ's larger is the main thing, or you won't be able to bend over without losing them. )j;
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

We have two old Singers. One hand cranked and the other electric. The electric one was made in 1924 and even with it's original braided flex passes it's MOT with ease. They both cost £10 each, so a real bargain )t'
Ali also has two modern machines which weren't frugal, one that is a real workhorse and will sew through 6 layers of denim with ease. It's about 15 years old and still going strong and although not cheap initially has probably cost less than buying a cheaper machine that would have worn out several times by now. Mind you it was very frugal as it cost her nothing, as my mum bought it for her )t'
Fabric wise Ali probably has enough stored in her sewing room to cover a couple of football fields :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I keep losing my posts. What sort of machine do you sew with now Lillia? As I said in an earlier post, I find my Grandmother's one hundred year old Singer much better than my late mil's electric Singer.

Grandma's Singer has made curtains, cushion covers, many, many clothes, for four generations now, windbreaks for our caravan, seats for our camping chairs, blinds, could go on....

When my little gem was serviced in the 1960's, the engineer told me that it was clapped out, and I think he hoped to flog me a new model. It has been serviced once since, five years ago, and still going strong!

Hope this post makes it to the thread this time.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

albertajune wrote:
Lillia wrote:Interesting, Spreckly. I had a hundred and so year old Singer once~

Lillia, there are loads of free patterns of all sorts on the internet. I downloaded a couple of craft ones yesterday. I'm sure that you are very capable of making your nighty and PJ bottome without the pattern. Making sure that you make the back of the PJ's larger is the main thing, or you won't be able to bend over without losing them. )j;

Thanks for the tips, June~
I might just take a look at some online patterns to make sure I get the angles right~I will probably trace my old pj bottoms for a pattern too. I really appreciate your help. :-D
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Totally Scrambled wrote:We have two old Singers............Fabric wise Ali probably has enough stored in her sewing room to cover a couple of football fields :-D
Dom

Nope, they don't make things like they used to!
As far as the fabric goes... envy}}
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Spreckly wrote:I keep losing my posts. What sort of machine do you sew with now Lillia? As I said in an earlier post, I find my Grandmother's one hundred year old Singer much better than my late mil's electric Singer.

Grandma's Singer has made curtains, cushion covers, many, many clothes, for four generations now, windbreaks for our caravan, seats for our camping chairs, blinds, could go on....

When my little gem was serviced in the 1960's, the engineer told me that it was clapped out, and I think he hoped to flog me a new model. It has been serviced once since, five years ago, and still going strong!

Hope this post makes it to the thread this time.

I really do find it amazing, the quality that machines were made with years ago, Spreckly!
My new machine is a Brother. Was £179 and my husband got it for £99.
Dare I try to sew anything thicker than a pair of jeans...... yike* At least it can do that..some cheaper machines have trouble sewing denim.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

When Ali wins the lottery she's got her eye on a longarm quilter. A snip at a frugal £9,000 for the basic models yike*
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Totally Scrambled wrote:When Ali wins the lottery she's got her eye on a longarm quilter. A snip at a frugal £9,000 for the basic models yike*
Dom

Yes, but imagine what she can make with it, Dom! )grin2(