Help! family tree

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Mo
Legendary Laner

Help! family tree

Post by Mo »

I have loads of family pictures and scribbled notes as to who they might be. Spent a lot of time while looking after MIL going through the albums with her.

Is there a common notation to use when setting this all out.

E.g. I wondered if I should label everyone with their relation to my daughters. So I would be m, my dad would be mf, and a sister would be md (also fd).
Am I reinventing the wheel?
Is there a code people use when setting it all out.

It's not a straight up ancestry, there are lots of cousins and there children. Branches and twiglets.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Re: Help! family tree

Post by Lillia »

Mo, personally, I would take the time to write any info you can on the photos. Dates, names, places, etc...it IS alot of work but worth it in the end. My husband just lost his mother and we have pics and now don't know who is who...we would love to know the first and last names, where the pic was taken, what date, etc....
this didn't answer your Q about notations, sorry....just wanted to to offer my thoughts. :-D
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

My husband's grandfather traced his family tree - I don't know much about the process etc, but I remember him talking about 'standard genealogical notation' - so perhaps searching using that term would help you to find what you need?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

A huge tip on writing on the back of photo's. Write in pencil as some ink goes through the photo.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Mo, my husband and I have each done our family tree online...the free version. It's nice to just be able to type in what we already know and add to what we later learn~ The site is G*ni.com < am I allowed to do that? +confused+ if not, Richard can remove it~