any knitters in here? (no not nutters knitters!)

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Re: any knitters in here? (no not nutters knitters!)

Post by Knikitta »

I am also on Ravelry, your projects are Amazing Julie!
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Ana Quay
Learner Laner

Post by Ana Quay »

I'm a knitter too )t' I also crochet, spin, dye and make felt. I've been knitting since I was a child, after being taught by my mum (it was so long ago that we did it in school too). I learned to crochet a few years ago. I'd been trying to teach myself for years and one day I was visiting a friend who runs a sheltered accommodation scheme and one of the little old ladies offered to teach me. It took 20 minutes and off I went. I've since come to realise what a wasted resource little old ladies are (and old gentlemen). I now help run The Knitting Tent, which travels to festivals and gives free knitting and crochet workshops, as I believe they are both skills which need to be passed on :-D

At the moment I'm knitting/crocheting squares and rectangles, ready for a knitting graffiti art installation I'm helping with in August.
[center]I knit therefore I am[/center]
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I used to knit strippy vests for missionaries (well, for babies in mission hospitals). If I got a seat on the tube I'd knit on the way to school. There were times when i had to change trains half way through a line - I didn't always go the right way when I picked it up again.

Talking of little old ladies - at college a friend and I used to visit an old lady. She was a knitter. She made a pair of socks for my friend's father. But when she decided to knit for me either her eyes or mind had deteriorated. I kept that sock for years - it had 2 toes and several half-turned heels, I think my sister (a lay-preacher) took it to use on a sermon (about needing a pattern to follow in life).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Last time my mum was in hospital there was a very frail lady on the ward with dementia .. she used to sit quietly in her chair and her hands were constantly going knitting with invisible wool and needles, your story reminded me of her Mo, it was like the knitting was one of the last things she was holding on to - I found it very touching .
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Julie you have some beautiful items on ravelry (Ive just joined), I LUUUUURRRRVVVE your canine model - I was sitting smiling to myself looking at your piccies. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

That's my longsuffering Molly - the chickens wont sit still long enough!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

My current project is a green and white Chrismas stocking with red toe, heel and cuff. I don't get on ravelry much but will go back to look.

I learnt to tat with my gran when was a teenager, something I want to pick up again.
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I've just finished a cardigan for myself & a lap-blanket for my Grandma. I'm starting a shawl next as a knit-a-long on another forum :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

I have just started a project for myself, I think it is the first time i have made something for myself instead of others or for selling!

I am going to try and adapt it by stopping under the bust and adding extra stitches at that point to give it flare to fit my growing bump and make it a long jumper/top instead of a dress.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Wow. Show us the finished product, please.
Just joined ravelry, will have a good look later.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning