any knitters in here? (no not nutters knitters!)

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
perchy

Re: any knitters in here? (no not nutters knitters!)

Post by perchy »

mardatha wrote:That's very true Julie, every wee girl knew how to knit or darn or sew. Now you see them talking about it as if it's a brand new thing they just discovered )grin2( Their enthusiasm over on Ravelry is infectious and fun, but their lack of knowledge is surprising.
I like pure wool, used to be a Fair Isle knitter but now nobody wants them so I do socks instead that everybody wants. I find wool really dear, but I've been buying and swapping a bit on Ravelry. Got some good Scandinavian wool that washes far better and is less itchy than the old fashioned Shetland. I found some French patterns that are amazingly elegant and bought a couple and got them translated - but never got round to knitting them )grin2(
I wanted to do a longish sleevless thingy that would go over a tshirt, a sort of coverallthebumps thingy {rofwl}

These are my favourite :oops:
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

Crochet here, never got the hang of knitting at all and I find crochet a lot easier to put down and pick up again and I can completely remove a hook if needed when the children are about!

I sell a lot of what I make in my Etsy shop and on Facebook but I also make quite a bit for charity and prem/baby units at hospitals.

At the moment I am making another 120 piece afghan plus a cushion for a friend as a move in present.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Morning, Mardatha, I am doing a sleeveless cover all the bumps (oh boy have I got some bumps to cover) at present, its only a straight up and down but you can do it stripey or plain. if you want can send you pattern no etc.
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

I've got a few patterns like that Mrs B ta though. I even sent away to Denmark for the wool for it... they languish together in my wool bag (that I hid in the spare room because the amount of WIP was making me feel guilty) :oops:
christine57
Learner Laner

Post by christine57 »

Hi
With 4 grandchildren I spend a lot of my evenings knitting. A few weeks ago I had a major clear out and found that I had two large plastic storage boxes full of left over yarn.
I am now on a mission to use up all the oddments. The current project is a throw for the cold winter evenings. I would love to be able to crochet a granny blanket but I have never learnt to crochet. I wish that I had asked my mother to teach when she was alive.
FleurBleue
Learner Laner

Post by FleurBleue »

I'm sure that you all know about Ravelry, (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but for those that don't, it's a knitting/crochet community with thousands of free and downloadable patterns.

I love it because not only do I have the pattern photograph to look at, people post up photographs after they've made it so there are masses to look at before I have to decide whether or not it's what I actually want to make.

Wool is too expensive to make mistakes.

It's got a furum as well.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I'd love to be able to knit. Remember making scarves for my Sindy doll as a child.

Tried to teach myself again a few years ago, but couldn't get the hang of it.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

FleurBleue wrote:I'm sure that you all know about Ravelry, (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but for those that don't, it's a knitting/crochet community with thousands of free and downloadable patterns.

I love it because not only do I have the pattern photograph to look at, people post up photographs after they've made it so there are masses to look at before I have to decide whether or not it's what I actually want to make.

Wool is too expensive to make mistakes.

It's got a furum as well.

Worth looking at Knitting Pattern Central too - all free! And you don't need to join that one.
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

I enjoy knitting. I try to pick up wool at car boot sales as it is so expensive to buy yarn in shops these days. I knitted Sunny Clucker and little Titchy :-D . My latest project was knitting bunting, hubby thought I had gone mad but it was very satisfying and oh so simple.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I've got a summer cardigan on my needles at the moment (which is probably why the weather is so dreadful) - it's the one here: http://knitbot.com/2009/04/13/featherwe ... available/
Progress so far: Image
IMAG0441 by LittleBrownFrog, on Flickr
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I use Ravelry a lot too - it's great to be able to see other peoples finished projects - this is my Ravelry page but I'm not sure if you can view it if you're not a member :?

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/julie1962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love looking at the projects on there - some are really inspiring and there's a lot of nice free patterns too.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I am on Ravelry as well but have`nt really got started on there, nor had a real look round on it yet. Had a look at your projects Julie and you are so clever, love your crochet. )t'
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I just added you as a friend Julie - you have some lovely things on there!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Thanks LBF, I do like trawling through all the stuff on there - you can get so many good ideas :-D
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

I'm on Ravelry too, will add you all when I find my password )grin2(