Video play back for Football

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
saint-spoon

Video play back for Football

Post by saint-spoon »

OK footy fans should we have video playback for football. There are arguments that it would stop the flow of the game but international rugby has it and I think that it works for them, cricket at the same level also has it and some other sports have it on a limited basis to allow the competitors to question the decisions of the officials; this helps to eliminate human fallibility and brings an element of fairness to the respective sports. I feel that for football it would go at least some way to stop the cheating (diving etc) and help the officials gain a bit more respect. I also feel that players complaining to the officials in the way you see with some of the top premiership teams, where they all crowd around and shout at him/her to try and get the decision they want, should be dealt with severely, lots more yellow and red cards; it would be shocking for the first game or two but it’d soon stop them from continuing with this disgraceful practice. Video replay I feel would really help with this as well as stopping the deliberate cheating with diving etc. It does always disgust me how easily some very powerful players throw themselves to the ground at the slightest touch when they know that they can alter the course of the game; unfortunately there is often no contact but the theatrics still reward the cheats with free kicks, penalties and punishments for the opponent. I feel that video replay would stop this, especially if there was harsh punishment for the cheat. Do you think some of our top premiership players would be so eager to dive if they got a straight red for cheating on the first instance and a five or ten match ban for the second or third; I doubt that their clubs would be too impressed.
Unfortunately I feel that the controlling powers will not bring in video replay as there are all too many nations that see cheating as being part of the game and I suspect that there might be a small amount of dishonesty when it comes to the beautiful game’s ruling body.
Bah Humbug
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: Video play back for Football

Post by HappyBob »

I,m in favour of video playback, the amount of cheating that goes on and goes unpunished is now spoiling the game, and fans and teams can be heavily agreived. Remember the hand of Thierry Henry,s blatant hand ball aginst Rep of Ireland in the WC playoffs, if video playback was adopted at that time then France would not have advanced. I also think that goal line technology should be introduced in the modern game as now the stakes are so high financially, that it should not be left solely for humans to decide an outcome of a 50/50 decision etc when so much is at stake.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

If I am honest, I'm not sure. On rare occasions I think they should use video playback, but also I think that wrong decisions are an integral part of the game, adding a certain je ne sais pas to the whole proceedings.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

I couldn't agree more ...it is high time that we had video playback at football matches )t'

Eck )bg(
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yeap, it's worked well in Cricket. To stop the game being stopped every five minutes because of Players with the 'I'm never out' syndrome, you are only allowed three appeals an innings.
This has worked well. They can only do it in televised games though, Cricket Cl;ubs couldn't afford to do it in both tech terms and paying an Official to man it.

But, has to come in.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Oheckitseck wrote:I couldn't agree more ...it is high time that we had video playback at football matches )t'

Eck )bg(

Brilliant - even more burnt offerings then if we have to have wait for the video playback the inevitable discussion even though its on video I can see the games lasting 3 hours ! {rofwl}
Seriously there would surely have to be a limit to the amount of times a decison was called into question and wouldn't all the stopping and starting just ruin the flow of the game ? If football clubs were made more accountable and had to balance the books as any other business does, maybe they wouldn't have the funds to pay these prima donna players such wacking salaries and instead the game would be played by sportsmen .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Yes I think they should have it )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

A good example yesterday, Carlos Tevez scored the first against the mighty Saints from what clearly looked like an off side situation, neither the Referee or linesman were correctly positioned to accurately see the off side but the commentators looking at the video replay could clearly see that it was indeed offside. The upshot of that decision is that Southampton lost by 3 goals to 2 and did therefore not get a point that they would have if the goal had been disallowed. This mistake was down to human error and may well mean the difference between survival at the top level or not; or perhaps what position either team finishes in the league which has huge financial ramifications in the form of prize money.
Bah Humbug
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

We could've done with it the other week whilst playing Man United, that blooming ref needs to get his eyes checked and his blooming lines people too!!!!!! }hairout{ )de: {mr.angry}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

I know that Luis Suarez has taken a lot of criticism for diving and play acting but I think that anyone who saw the tackle on him by a Norwich defender will agree that it WAS a penalty. The defender clattered Suarez on the shoulder with his elbow and I have seen other players correctly shown a red card for use of the elbow.

Eck )bg(
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I feel sorry for the Referees, but that was a bad decision agreed.

It's when you see things like that Andy Caroll bloke continually arguing with the Ref and questioning everything that gets my blood boiling.

I know all Sport is passionate and you can get very deep into what's going on, but......!!

On the goal line thing, I think there should be camera replays, but notice it's the Teams where a decision hasn't gone their way that are the one's complaining !!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Richard wrote:
It's when you see things like that Andy Caroll bloke continually arguing with the Ref and questioning everything that gets my blood boiling.

Richard )t'

I can't stand that either Richard, it's like they think they're above the rules or something! )de:

Never could quite take to that Andy Caroll )de:
Bev x