The Night Sky - stars, planets and all

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

The Night Sky - stars, planets and all

Post by Benny&Co »

I've always been fascinated about the night sky and love things to do with stars and planets.

I was out having a looky the other night although we do have quite a lot of light pollution around here.

Anyone else interested? :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
saint-spoon

Re: The Night Sky - stars, planets and all

Post by saint-spoon »

Lots of light pollution here but when we go away camping it is nice to look up and be able to identify stuff. I have actually got a star named after me; it was a present from an Ex-girlfriend, I have got a certificate and co-ordinates but you can’t see it without a telescope. Have you got g00gle skymaps? It is one of the ap thingies that shows you what you are looking at in the sky. It is good for checking out the planets when they are in our area.
Bah Humbug
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Eck was outside about 4am looking for the meteorite showers that people were tweeting about but as he was at work in the centre of Glasgow - nae chance ! When Eck was a taxi driver one of the other guys was a very keen observer and used to sit with Eck pointing various stars out so he has a smattering of knowledge now . We are fortunate where we live as way out from the built up areas and right by the hills so huge skies for us to see - though I prefer the daytime sky which can also be stunning, especially this time of year with the light playing tricks, the sun shining through dark clouds and illuminating trees . wow
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

They reckon the lights in the sky last night were debris from satelittes (have`nt got a clue how to spell that) or a meteor shower. Apparently there were a lot of calls to emergancy services about it. I did`nt see it.
I ike to see the stars on a clear frosty night, but can`t claim to be knowlegable.
manda

Post by manda »

I love the night sky ...which given I have worked nights for quite a while over the years is just as well and I've had a fair bit of opportunity to gaze upwards over the years (used to love seeing the satellites whipping across the skies at night)...only thing I found was when i moved to NZ all the stars were different...no more ladle (my knowledge of names is limited!) but now I look for the Southern Cross for something familiar.

I love where we are, as at night it's very dark ...although I'd like to be further away from the lights in the distance but at night the sky is beautiful and dark and in the summer I love lying on the deck and just looking up (I had a light net on the lounge ceiling in my house in the UK so I could turn out the lights and pretend it was the night sky).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

NASA shows a picture every day on this site http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html"

It’s worth having a look. I’ve looked every day for the last 4 years and you can always go back into the archives which is at the bottom of the page.