Golf

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Golf

Post by Benny&Co »

I'd love to try my hand at golf I think, but having had a lesson when we were on holidaybobs in Grenada, I don't think I'd be much good!

I had a hard enough time even hitting the darn ball thingymejig! >dum<

Quite enjoyed it though. Maybe one day hey. Hubbly plays every now and then.

Does anyone else play? :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Golf

Post by Grannyof4 »

I nearly back onto our beauiful local golf club, jus the old village church in between. Access is via the church yard. It is great for walking dogs!!! My late hubby played and for quite a few years when I did B&B, we had a young lad living with us who was training to be a Golf Pro. I was a moving ball plyer, tennis and then moved onto squash. I found golf far too technical a game, although I could hit a golf ball.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I tend to think of cross country hockey as being a waste of a good walk but some folk seem to enjoy it; I have however promised myself that I will give it a bash and I have a set of rackets that I can borrow when the time comes. Or I might just stick to fishing which is actually far more environmentally friendly than the manicured golf pitches.
Bah Humbug
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

saint-spoon wrote:I tend to think of cross country hockey as being a waste of a good walk but some folk seem to enjoy it; I have however promised myself that I will give it a bash and I have a set of rackets that I can borrow when the time comes. Or I might just stick to fishing which is actually far more environmentally friendly than the manicured golf pitches.

{rofwl} {rofwl} I always used to think of it like that too MrSpoon - a good walk spoiled and all that, but the last few years I've found myself enjoying it - watching on telly mostly anyways!
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Grannyof4 wrote:I nearly back onto our beauiful local golf club, jus the old village church in between. Access is via the church yard. It is great for walking dogs!!! My late hubby played and for quite a few years when I did B&B, we had a young lad living with us who was training to be a Golf Pro. I was a moving ball plyer, tennis and then moved onto squash. I found golf far too technical a game, although I could hit a golf ball.

Well that's a good start being able to actually hit the ball if you ask me Granny! )t' :-D
Bev x

silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Benny&Co wrote:I'd love to try my hand at golf I think, but having had a lesson when we were on holidaybobs in Grenada, I don't think I'd be much good!

I had a hard enough time even hitting the darn ball thingymejig! >dum<

Quite enjoyed it though. Maybe one day hey. Hubbly plays every now and then.

Does anyone else play? :-D

Don’t give up on golf. Like all sports it’s difficult to start, but once you have mastered how to hit the ball, it’s a great game. I teaching my friend and his wife at the moment and she is playing a much better game than he is.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have tried it in the past when OH used to play a bit. I didn't intend to be like my daughter who is always a golf widow.
f wasn't too bad but hated it when a group of usually men, stood waiting for me to finish playing a hole. Then I became useless as I hated them watching me. I actually needed the course to myself, I might then still be playing. {rofwl}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I used to play many moons ago, my friend's Dad was Golf Professional at Tunbridge Wells, so cheap rounds !!

The first time I ever played, aged about 23, I put the ball down, took aim, whacked it and went round in 92 !

I went home brought all the Magazines, learnt all the things I should have been doing and didn't get round in less than 100 for three years !!

My bestest round was at Tonbridge Poult Wood in 84. I played the Royal Ashdown a couple of times, blimey !!

I used to play with my brother-in-law; he had a slice and I had a hook, we'd tee off quite often and say "See you at the Hole" :-D

Last year in the Dressing Room the Players were putting a ball along the length of the room into a Cup (about 35 feet), they taped the cup so if you hit it too hard the tape would come off.
After about 9 or 10 of them had tried and failed, I said I'd have a go.
I hit perfect speed, perfect weight, straight in, threw the Club on the floor and said "Well, I've got far better things to do than this all day" and walked out. :-D

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Richard wrote: he had a slice and I had a hook

He had a slice of cake and you had a crochet hook? >dowhat<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Don't be silly Helen, it was a coat hook.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Albertajune, The chap I’m teaching at the moment goes to pieces when someone is watching. I keep telling him that golf is a mental game and you should only think about what you are doing and nothing else. His wife on the other hand is not bothered by anything.

Richard, 92 is a very good round. At that time you would have been classed as a 28 handicap and therefore your first round was an impressive 2 over par.

My first round at age 38 was 127 at West Wilts course in Warminster. I got my handicap down to 14, but it’s now gone back up again to 24 as at my age I don’t hit the ball as far as I did 35 years ago.

John