left over wool

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

left over wool

Post by mrs boodles »

I have got quite a bit of odd wool lying around and would like to knit some little blankets/babies cardies etc for charity, has anyone got any addresses or ideas on who needs them and can the blankets be a bit of mix and match in colours etc.
perchy

Re: left over wool

Post by perchy »

I have read something about this recently, will have a think of where it was and get back to you {hug}
perchy

Post by perchy »

http://www.lovinghands.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on the boxes, and it gives information.
There are also some special baby care organisations some here and some abroad )t'

http://www.knit-a-square.com/
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

mrs boodles wrote:I have got quite a bit of odd wool lying around and would like to knit some little blankets/babies cardies etc for charity, has anyone got any addresses or ideas on who needs them and can the blankets be a bit of mix and match in colours etc.

What a lovely idea, good on you {hug}
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Good on you!
I'm part of a group that does this. Don't know where you are, but if you contact your local hospital's prem baby unit, they may well want crib blankets. Possibly tiny clothes too (though ours doesn't). They may also have a charity stall where items can be sold. We take ours to the Marsden hospital, who are delighted to have them for their stall.
Local cats and dogs home like to have blankets too.
Loving Hands are great, but it can cost a fortune in postage to send stuff to them so we now keep it local.
Oh, and it's best to stick to washable, and nothing lacy with holes that the tinies can catch their fingers in.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes, I think the charity for prem babies is called Bliss.
Most dog charities want coats knitted as well. If you get onto their websites I am sure they have patterns available.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thanks folks, going to look into it and hopefully make a start.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I'd agree with the special care baby unit suggestion from Rhubarb. My mum has knitted several wee cardigans, hats and blankets for our local one and they're always gratefully received.
(We saw just how useful they were when our youngest was in special care for her first 4 weeks)
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I use dark coloured odds and ends of wool to knit stripey jumpers for the Pegasus Childrens Trust, a charity founded for street kids in South Africa. Have had a short break whilst I knitted three winter jumpers for myself, and some baby clothes for forthcoming great grandchild, and for friends. Have been doing the stripey jumpers for several years now. Most rewarding. I have the contact details should you want them, Mrs Boodles.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Would appreciate the details Spreckly, having a look at all of them.
Nefertari
Longlasting Laner

Post by Nefertari »

its very rewarding making these things isn't it. I have made loads of stuff for Upon Butterfly Wings, if your are on FB then you can see some of my pictures.

i've also just made a coat for a rescue greyhound society and a friend's american bulldog. I have a notice on the intranet at work asking for wool/buttons/ribbon and have got loads here. Another friend dropped off a big bag of pink/blue and cream wool, my stash will keep me going all winter now.
It'll be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I have only just started, and am going to be doing a variety of things for a couple of charities. Will have a look on fb.
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

I've just started doing tiny donkeys 'Woolies' for the Donkey Sanctuaries, they will send you the pattern and a little tag to sew in with their name on and then it gets sent back to them and they sell to raise funds for the donkeys )t'
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

What a lovely thing to do MrsBoods {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.