Christmas with homemade and frugal gifts

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
perchy

Christmas with homemade and frugal gifts

Post by perchy »

It has been two years since we have had this thread running, and with the financial climate as it is, I thought it would be a good idea to start it up again, I know I have been doing a few bits for Christmas gifts for friends and family, I wondered if we could share some of the ideas alot of us have, I know there are alot of people on the lane who like to do a few bits as a hobby, we could share them here {hug}

First of all, I have been to the usual junk shops and charity shops and bought a few cups and saucers ranging from 10p to 50p and made them into candles, I used some tea lights I had and bought a large bag of berry scented ones for £1.50, I am pleased with them and will put some ribbon etc on, but here they are basic

When I went to Alldi I bought some brown paper, a large roll 20 metres for £1.99 and have had a stencil >ch< for some time and havn't used it so I am going to make my own wrapping paper, a roll of string 75% off from Wilks and sons and away I go

Ribbon I got from a car boot last year pennies a metre, and a roll that had been opened for 20p

This material was on a flea market stall, sold as "not quite fat quarters" so these will be made into little pin cushions, hats for jams and chutneys, lavender bags, the lavender saved from the garden, I also bought a new pillow case in a charity shop, lovely tartan, so something Christmassy will be made.

Odds of wool from blanket crocheting will be made into Christmas Baubles, I noticed in Wilkinandsons they are selling these this year.

I am saving jars, and will be giving a cookie mix in them, they don't have to be Kilner jars, with ribbon labels and string they can look good, also will be making a few biscuits to give and make some nice boxes, also there are Jams and Marmalades, with pretty hats on, I am hoping I have stirred the inner crafter in you >fi<

Feel free to add any recipes, tips, crafty bits, not necessarily cheap but homemade, handmade, upcycled, recycled and some frugal ideas added in!

>tree< >tree<
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Christmas with homemade and frugal gifts

Post by MissEllie »

Fantastic ideas Perchy )b( the candles are really lovely. I'm not much of a crafty person but looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
perchy

Post by perchy »

MissEllie wrote:Fantastic ideas Perchy )b( the candles are really lovely. I'm not much of a crafty person but looking forward to seeing everyone's ideas )t'

Me too!! I think they are shy )w(

We can all do something Miss Ellie honest!!
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I think I'll give the candles a go. Do you melt the tea lights down then re use the wick and pour the wax in? Sorry if that's a thick question :oops:
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
perchy

Post by perchy »

Yes Miss Ellie, I had a tall candle that had seen better days so I used the wick from that but you can use the tea light one, they are fun, I melted the wax over hot water, it was fun and the kitchen smelt lovely, have a go )t' You can of course buy wax pellets but I wanted to use as much as I had before buying :-D

They would make great presents for teachers etc, just a something different, egg cups in charity shops arn't much, baby jars can be used too )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Thanks Perchy, I've got a few pillar candles which are only about 2 inches tall now so will give it a go with them. {hug} if it works I'll post pics, if you don't hear from me again then they didn't turn out as pretty as yours {rofwl}
Woody Allen
perchy

Post by perchy »

They will be lovely I am sure, seeing as its you and me, we will be having a very "similar" Christmas )grin2(
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Yes, except can I have gin instead of Bacardi please? )grin2(
Woody Allen
perchy

Post by perchy »

MissEllie wrote:Yes, except can I have gin instead of Bacardi please? )grin2(

No problem )hic( )hic(
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

perchy wrote:
MissEllie wrote:Yes, except can I have gin instead of Bacardi please? )grin2(

No problem )hic( )hic(

{hug} {hug&kiss}
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

Just beautiful Perchy. You are so clever envy}}
I am hopeless with anything like that. So no frugal pressies from me I am afraid.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I have made a couple of berets for daughter and also a load of dishcloths for her. Might try the candle idea. I willl be making blackberry and vanilla curd and lemon curd and also marmalade for people. I might also make up a frugal recipe book for my daughter. Have been looking at patterns for fingerless gloves and fancy trying to make them. I really don`t want to spend loads of money on pressies this year, first time I have really had the time to do the things I am doing, always been working before and to shattered to do anything.
Realy looking forward to posts on this thread, thanks Perchy. )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Perchy, you have read my mind!! :-D I was just thinking yesterday about posting on DTL looking for ideas.

My friend and I run a craft group and we have decided this year not to buy presents for each other but to create things. Am going to start this week in making things (once I get my craft room tidied up - cos its a mess :oops: ) and will get some photos.

Ooooh hope to see other peoples ideas on here. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I would never have thought of the candles in tea cups, may I please steal the idea? DD will do it with me as she is crafty. Do wicks have to be purpose bought or will string do?

I recently purchased an engraving tool which DD has borrowed, we are planning to make lots of signs such as Aide's Shed KEEP OUT, you get the idea.

I like to give my customers a small gift but with 12-15 it gets expensive so usually I make mince pies and cello wrapped shortbread rounds but this year I may do truffles and fudge in the cello bags tied up with ribbon.

Perchy I was in Dunelm and they had jam labels and lids, very Cath Kidson in style.
perchy

Post by perchy »

I have lots of ideas, I love receiving something someone has made, and I too have suggested one gift and something home made, some people are absolutely flabbergasted that something has been handmade, it really is quite alien in some circles!

I have crocheted some little brooches, in my big cack handed style, not like some on here could do but a handmade gift all the same. Will post a pic later, also Mrs Boodles, I use to love getting a hat and scarf hand knitted, have done a couple of scarves too, and some little blankets for my grand daughters dollies {hug}

Of course a large blanket for the remaining family that havn't had one {rofwl}