Polymer Clay

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
LisaB

Polymer Clay

Post by LisaB »

Just wondering if anyone has ever used polymer clay, ideally for making key rings/little nicknacks?

There's so many types I have no idea which is best for what I want! It's all really confusing me.
I'm also not sure which gloss I should be using to coat them :?

Anyone able to help?
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Polymer Clay

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I've used fimo before - the fimo soft is the easiest to work with, the other stuff (classic? original? not sure what it's called) takes a lot of effort to make it soft enough to use. I've only ever used the fimo gloss varnish. This site is good: http://www.fimo-ideas.co.uk/blog/
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oooooh great! Thank you :-D
I'd not found that site before. I think I'll buy some after Christmas.

Do you have any experience with Sculpey? I've seen Sculpey Premo mentioned quite a few times when researching it, just curious what the difference is?

I might buy a bit of both {rofwl}
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I think my daughter had some sculpey in a set once - I just remember it being much the same as fimo. Not really sure though.
The people who have the fimo ideas site also have craftmerrily - where you can buy fimo etc.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you!

I'll work out which is cheapest and go with that {rofwl}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have used it for making stuff for my dolls house and found Fimo has such a lovely range of colours and easy to use. One tip Lisa. Once you open it, do make sure that it is well wrapped in cling film to stop it gettin unusable. Good luck with your new project x2
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you, June! :-D
I think I'll go with Fimo to start with :)