knitting question

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
chickenlicken
Lively Laner

knitting question

Post by chickenlicken »

I'm making a cardigan of which I have finished the back and sleeves. On both the left and right front, it is asking me to decrease 1 stitch at the beginning of rows 1 and 12 (side edge) but what is the side edge? it's a sirdar big softie pattern 9049. Thanks.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: knitting question

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I would think that the side edge is the edge nearest the seam/arms. Is it knitted from the bottom up?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I would think that it would be the part that is the side seam. Mind you, no idea why I am answering this as I am a rubbish knitter {rofwl}

Best wait for someone else! +f+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I agree that the side edge would be the side seam. The other side would be referred to as the front edge.
Hope it turns out well )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
chickenlicken
Lively Laner

Post by chickenlicken »

Thanks for your answers. Should I be on a knit side rather than a purl side? That probably would have solved it for me as I had to:-
Left front-
Cast on 28 sts and work 1 row in garter st.
Knit and slip 12 sts onto a stitch holder and knit to the end of row.
Change needles and with the remaining 16 sts work 10 rows in stocking stitch. I started these rows with a purl row. Should I have started with a knit row instead?
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Have you looked on the picture. If there is a ridge along the cast on edge which if you've done garter stitch (which is plain) If there is a ridge and youve started with a plain you've done right.
As for the casting off every 12 rows do it on a plain row by just knitting to together by knitting in the back of the 2 stitches. The only thing I could think you decreasing every 12 rows is if its a V neck garment
I've just reread your bit about leaving 12 stitches on a stitch holder, I would presume this is for a buttonhole band.
As others have said does it say side or front edge
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I would have started with a knit row I think.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
chickenlicken
Lively Laner

Post by chickenlicken »

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to everyone but as I have put in brackets on my comments it does say side edge. I am going to go with the fact that I should have been on a knit row. I think the other stitches on the stitch holder are for the buttonhole band. Thanks for all your replies.