Old fashioned door sun shades

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Old fashioned door sun shades

Post by Tink »

Not sure which section to put this......does any one know if you can still buy the front door sun screens made of deckchair canvas? I have searched the internet and cannot find one. I want to keep the sun off my front door. I have fashioned a temporary one out of two beach mats.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Old fashioned door sun shades

Post by HedgeHugger »

Could you 'invent' your own?
If you put a couple of hooks over the door, either side, maybe you could hook the ends of one of these on there.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 278802.htm

Might need a bit of extra weighting to keep it down.
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Thanks, I am mulling it all over, the one in Argos is plastic but I have now found the canvas by the metre online. I have put up an extending net rod with the beach mats pinned over.
Not beautiful but doing the trick until I get some canvas. Thanks for you suggestion. )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What an interesting post. I would be interested to see the end result of your door shades when made. Presuming that you do buy the canvas that you have sourced.
Just a note of interest. When I lived in S Australia, everyone had outside blinds at their windows, rather than inside. It does actually make a great difference to keep the sun off the windows and doors, rather than have them inside.
Something I might think about in the future.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Well my beach mats are certainly working so far as I half expect them to drop on my head as we walk through them. Using two has incidentally given us an exit through the middle. Whilst looking online we found a door curtain at £600 + ( order for three on its way) +pinn+
Australia knows what its doing in that department I dare say, hope your enjoying this wonderful weather as a memory.
manda

Post by manda »

Found a couple of companies in the UK that make them...
Here
and.....
Here

This last one has all about awnings ...but the main reason I put it here was because it's got how to make your own so if you're wanting to get one and buying them is too much there might be something here that will do for ya :-D )t'
Here

and.....THERE'S A VIDEO )c(

Hope that helps )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Thanks very much Mandy you are a star - will have a good look round the sites later.
The door shade I described is from years ago people used deckchair canvas to suspend
directly above/over the front door which acted as a sunscreen to stop the door paint from fading.
>dr<