Attempt #1 Baby's Soft Rattle

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Attempt #1 Baby's Soft Rattle

Post by jemberelli »

My lovely French God-daughter has just had a beautiful baby girl so I decided that my very first foray into sewing a 'real thing' would be a soft rattle with ribbon tags. What could go wrong - a simple pattern to get me going.

I decided to do it in patchwork so I sewed the patches together and cut out the shape using the template. No worries there...

I pinned on the ribbons. No worries there. Sewed it together which is where I had my first blip - sewing a curved line! Hmmm, wasn't great but quite good for a first attempt! Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) hubby spotted my deliberate error - I had pinned the ribbons on the wrong way so they would have been on the inside when I turned the fabric out the right way! So I unpicked it and repinned them. After this point nothing went right! The sewing machine needle kept unthreading itself, I couldn't sew a curve for love nor money and when I tried to turn the fabric the right way I realised that the template didn't allow for the 1/2" seam so was tiny! One ribbon wasn't properly attached and another was wonky. All ribbons looked out of proportion due to my seam allowance mistake and once hubby and I had stopped crying with laughter, I decided that there was no way I could actually give it to anyone so this has been put down to a practise run! No point even stuffing it!

The photo below shows my lovely first attempt with the ribbons on the wrong way, both sides of my monstrosity and finally the wonky, rubbish ribbons! :oops:

Oh well, onwards and upwards - things can only improve (I hope!)

This is what it should have looked like )sh
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Attempt #1 Baby's Soft Rattle

Post by Mo »

That reminds me why my sewing machine is hidden under a pile of 'I might mend these sometime'.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Actually that is pretty. So don't be too hard on yourself as it is virtually there.
I have no problems with a curved line. Trouble is I want to do straight ones >dum<
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
perchy

Post by perchy »

It is pretty, well done you and don't give up!! I love hand made {hug}