Sewing newbie

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Sewing newbie

Post by Funky chicken »

I have an interest in sewing but have never tried. I need blinds for my conservatory so thought I'd have a go at making them including "sails" for the roof bit.
I was hoping you experienced sewers could help me through some of my questions please.
Would it be possible to master the art of sewing on a machine without going on a course?
I need to purchase a machine but don't have a clue what to look for, any help would be appreciated.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Re: Sewing newbie

Post by Dave »

Funky chicken wrote:
1) Would it be possible to master the art of sewing on a machine without going on a course?

2) I need to purchase a machine but don't have a clue what to look for, any help would be appreciated.

1) yes, just read the instructions and mind your fingers

2) use google and go to your nearest sewing machine shop
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
perchy

Post by perchy »

I have had alot of time away from work and hubby bought me a sewing machine last year, I hadn't sewn before, but I read through the manual, watched u tube and practised all the time, I am by no means an expert but can follow u tube etc and have made a few bits and pieces, there are some real beginners clips on u tube, go for it )t'

My hubby bought me a Janome machine I love it, I have now bought a foot for free hand embroidery yike* looks quite easy, but it is not, but I will practice and hopefully be able to master that too.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

We have an industrial lockstitch left over from when we had our own business in the rag trade, hubby is a master of it and has taught me a bit. I think if you can follow a YouTube video and have the manual you could do a bit of practice on something simple first to get used to the machine and then give the blinds a go :-D

I made a dog using a pattern in a book
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

That's cute Kate!

Although I haven't sewn for many years, I am very lucky as I did learn dressmaking at school, and although I wasn't exactly professional ( {rofwl} ) I did make several wearable items. I made my daughter's christening gown and her clothes when she was little too. Hopefully I will remember some things when I eventually get back behind a machine again, although I think it would be for crafty stuff rather than clothes.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Kate that is cute.
Thanks for your replies, I'm already researching on the net and have picked up some tips from a sewing forum and websites. I'm a bit iffy about getting advice from shops until I've done some research as I don't want to be sold a more expensive and elaborate machine than I need, but also don't want to buy too cheap and have to buy twice because I buy a cheap rubbish one, hense asking around first.
Would anyone care to share the features they particularly like on their machine please?
Perchy you've mentioned Janome but are there any others you'd recommend or not?
And the prices they sell for varies a lot, how much do others feel a reasonable price woud be to pay?
Thanks in advance.