A fantasy picture

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

A fantasy picture

Post by Meanqueen »

I have a piece of fabric, 2ft x 2ft, I got it from the Scrapstore a couple of years ago, it's a William Morris design. The back of it is quite interesting. I decided to make a picture out of it, by sewing other fabrics, beads, sequins, vinyl, and other bits and bobs onto it. It's taken about six weeks to do. The idea I had in mind for it was a secret place in a forest. It's a fantasy picture.

This large lily flower is on the other side, I expanded it by adding pink flowers, metalic flowers cut from an aluminium drinks can and an empty tube of tomato puree, (they are gold on the inside), and outlined it in silver cord.

The grey flower is cut from another piece of fabric. I sealed the edge with PVA glue and added sequins, beads, and red cord.

The turquoise stems and leaves are made from an ironing board cover, and the green flowers are vinyl.

Just about all the materials I already had, except some of the beads I bought were necklaces from car boot sales. I am now making a frame for it out of recycled timber. I have a piece of glass from an old greenhouse, and a piece of hardboard for the back.

I enjoyed doing it. The pond gave me a bit of bother, I pictured something blue and shimmery. Tried fabric, and fused plastic, but found that blue and white mesh bags with silver ribbon, run over with the sewing machine lots of times, gave me the effect I wanted. The fish are made out of old credit cards, painted with nail varnish.

Might do another one.
Ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: A fantasy picture

Post by albertajune »

I absolutely love everything about it. The design and colours are great and it must look even more stunning when seeing the actual picture with it's different textures.
The time and patience that were needed was worth it. )like(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

As usual another lovely creation from you llona the colours are gorgeous its one of those things that can uplift you just by looking at it. {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It is stunning, Ilona.
perchy

Post by perchy »

That really is very lovely, the colours and theme are brilliant, well done Ilona )like(
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

You have a wonderful imagination and much patience and skill bringing it to life )t'
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I love that it's very creative and the final result is lovely.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you. I am having trouble framing it, as it's non standard so can't buy an off the shelf frame. I have four pieces of timber which I recovered from an old arm chair I broke up and took to the tip. Sanded down the wood is lovely. I'm going to a friends house he has the right tools for the job and he can help me. I'm still in two minds whether to put glass in front of it or not. Most people say no glass because it's a textured piece, and tapestries aren't normally covered, but left as it is it will get dusty. I think it looks good behind glass, but it makes it very heavy and will need a robust wall fixing. Still thinking about it.

The next one will be smaller and I will choose the frame first.

I've been making shopping bags out of a set of curtains I got from a charity shop for £1. I can get 12 bags out of them.

Ilona
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Totally in awe of your talent and imagination.

Heavy or not, I would go with the glass. It would be such a shame for it to get dusty, and very difficult to clean without possibly damaging it.
Life's too short to quarrel
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Changed my mind about the frame, thought of a good idea. No glass. Thinking about all the old tapestries in churches, they don't have glass in front of them.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It's all finished. This is what I used for a frame, though the picture sits on top of it and isn't really framed.

It's a shoe rack, I've had it years, never used it for it's original purpose so it's clean. I screwed the two slatted shelves to a piece of hardboard, and used two of the uprights to extend it to the right depth.

I stuck an extra layer of fuzzy green stuff around the edge with PVA glue, to strengthen it. Along the top and bottom I used thick navy thread to tie it to the bars at one inch intervals. On the sides I used invisible thread to fasten it down.

I think this simple idea works well, it doesn't take the focus away from the picture. I'm chuffed with it.
Ilona
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Ilona I wouldnt have thought you could have improved your ''tapestry'' but you have and by putting your own unique stamp on the frame it is beautiful and natural :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, that is an original way of 'framing' and enhancing it.

I bet the 'frame' was something else before, but can't guess what. Give us a clue.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

It's Lovely Meanqueen!. And what a clever way to frame it. I could look at it for ages. Beautiful!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

It was a shoe rack Mo.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell