I'm learning the viola!

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
echelon
Longlasting Laner

I'm learning the viola!

Post by echelon »

I'm really bad at it, but it's fun! I'd love to be good enough to join the amateur orchestra, but I think it's gonna be a while before I'm ready to join them! *lol* :razz:
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Well done

Keep practicing you will get there! )t'

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well done, I would love to learn the piano.
I hope you sound better than my son when learning the violin
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
manda

Post by manda »

Good on you..
I learnt to play the piano, all the recorders (which I love) and dabbled with the trombone (but as a teenager the whole lip thing wasn't attrative so it went by the way eventually).
The stringed instruments are something I have never been able to get my head around....I envy you...I couldn't manage really bad as a grade! )t' :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Have fun with your practising.

If you're not up to orchestral standard, how about joining in a pub 'folk session'.
I take my recorder, and have learnt to play by ear (no time to fumble around looking for the 'dots' when someone starts a tune).

Sessions vary, some are dominated by people playing Irish tunes very fast, others by people strumming guitars and singing old Beatles songs, but the sort I prefer has a bit of everything.
There is a 'virtual session' here and lots of tunes here. If you learn Salmon Tails, Man in the Moon, or Jimmy Allen and play them in a session everyone will join in and raise the roof (and hide my mistakes). It's a great feeling to be part of it.

Folkies are usually a tolerant lot, so not all the participants are virtuoso standard, but there will be something to enjoy listening to and a chance to join in and have fun.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've borrowed an accordian, but it will be a while before I take that to a session.
I was thinking about getting a small one, and asking advice and was lent one that I can hardly see over, never mind play!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Good stuff! I think a viola has a much more pleasant sound than a voiln which can get a bit 'cats fighting at 1am' . Plus, 'cos the music is written on the 'c' clef, fewer people play it and it's easier to get involed in orchestras.

Wish I'd kept it up but I was difficult and 14 so I quit!

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"