What have you been reading recently?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
hari
Lively Laner

Post by hari »

so there is another twilight mum on here my daughter got me to read twilight by Stephenie Meyer she has all the twilight books i am just finishing the last one breaking down and i loved them all
just sad i am coming to the end my favorite author is Joan Jonker
i love to read
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

I don't know Joan Jonker but I do know Meyers. Have you tried to find her stand alone novel The Host? I found it to be as good as her others. Some other people needed to get past page 100 before they got really into it. Everyone I know who's gone that far has adored it.

Just a thought, and as usual, keep on reading.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

As posted on another thread I'm reading "Thud" by Terry Pratchett. Have to say it's painfully funny, and also painfully close to home at times.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
amandajane
Lively Laner

Post by amandajane »

Twilight is on my list for next, or next-after-the-next-two :)

How does the film compare to the book?
full time mum to 2 gorgeous girls, 5 newly glam ex-battery chickens, two smelly cats, one bearded dragon. Owner of one patient husband
hari
Lively Laner

Post by hari »

the book is 100 times better than the film i was VERY disappointed with the film
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

[quote="saint-spoon"][quote="saint-spoon"]Just about to kick off with a book called “the way of the shadowsâ€
Bah Humbug
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

I'm now reading "The Man on a Donkey" by H F M Prescott, which is a large historical novel set in Tudor England around the time when Henry VIII was trying to divorce Katherine of Aragon in order to marry Anne Boleyn. The story is told in short sections by different characters and covers the effects on the church and society in general by the dissolution of the monastries and changes in religious thinking. It's very interesting but I'm having trouble getting into it as I keep on pestered by my husband to help him set up his website!!

My stepson is supposed to be doing it, but being a teenage boy stuck in a young man's body is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

I'm reading a book by John Humphreys called In God We Doubt.
John gave an interview on his radio show some time ago and ask 3 clerics to prove there wasn't a god. Jolly good read for a bit of debate and arguments. I got right into it. Just almost finished it off now.

I read a book called Britain in the Middle Ages by Francis Pryor before that. Hard read (he talks about himself in it too much quite frankly) I got bored because of that. I love books on history and that could have been much better but he let himself down by yapping on about himself and his wife and where they met etc - who cares, tell me about the Middle Ages!!!
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Oh I love a good history book too!!

I recently read a good one about the Mitford family which is more recent history but fascinating none the less.

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
amandajane
Lively Laner

Post by amandajane »

Hmmmm,

halfway through 'The Mirror of her Dreams' by Stephen Donaldson.

By no means convinced.

hoping it will do a 'saint-spoon' and I'll 'get it' after a bit :?

Have 'The Bad Mothers Handbook' to read next (at present) hubby bought it for me. Not sure what his point is :shock:
full time mum to 2 gorgeous girls, 5 newly glam ex-battery chickens, two smelly cats, one bearded dragon. Owner of one patient husband
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Another horror fan - read mainly Stephen King (who I think has gone downhill a lot in his later books, they just plain suck!) and James Herbert.

Just started the Crickley Manor book he wrote and already hooked, it seems a real good read.

Also read biographies, latest ones being Gordon Ramsey, I think the man is amazing especially after reading about his upbringing and anything about Freddie Mercury and his life - another private but amazing gentleman.

If I find a book I like, I will read it within days but lately I don't seem to have the time which is a bit sad.

Glad to see that the reading bug has kicked in on my 10 year old son who has started reading 'big lad' books.

My poor old bookshelf is creaking under the weight but I don't want to get rid of the books - I love re-reading now and again.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

What's this? A Steven King I haven't read?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Will get it immediately (f+ )t'
Jackie xx
amandajane
Lively Laner

Post by amandajane »

LOVED Gordon Ramsey's Biog.

Liked Stephen Frys Biog too. 'Moab is My Washpot' (I Think)

Must read more biogs.

Any suggestions?
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Dawn French "Dear Fatty" is supposed to be really good.I'm waiting my turn for that one.
Jackie xx
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Haven't read any biographies for a while, did read Ozzy Osbourne's a while back :-D

Am currently reading the Victorian Farm book that came out recently, very enjoyable....

Have also ordered the Monty Halls Beachcomber Cottage book via the DTL link to Amazon.