What have you been reading recently?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

chickenchaser wrote:What's this? A Steven King I haven't read?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Will get it immediately (f+ )t'

Nooo its a James Herbert and its a good price at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Crickley ... 0330411683 (although click the amazon link on the site and some money will come Richards way to keep this lovely forum up :))
amandajane
Lively Laner

Post by amandajane »

OOOOOH I like James Herbert. Sometimes he slips in s*x that you aren't expecting too.

Trying to think of the particular title.....

It's got fairies in x
full time mum to 2 gorgeous girls, 5 newly glam ex-battery chickens, two smelly cats, one bearded dragon. Owner of one patient husband
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

amandajane wrote:OOOOOH I like James Herbert. Sometimes he slips in s*x that you aren't expecting too.

Trying to think of the particular title.....

It's got fairies in x

I've just read that one.The Cottage or something.

Brilliant read ^b: (f+
Jackie xx
chick-chick
Lively Laner

Re: What have you been reading recently?

Post by chick-chick »

chickenchaser, I would reccommend dear fatty, its a brilliant book..I've been reading the vicar of dibley scripts also its so funny..Ive named one of my chooks after Dawn French..lol :-D
but I read alot of biographys, Sharon Osbourne extreme, Richard Hammond..
Im reading next to you by Gloria Hunniford about her daughter Caron's Tragic fight for cancer..
I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned!!!

http://mothernaturewales.blogspot.com/
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Re:

Post by Sunny B »

BigMeanUglyOgre wrote:If you have to get away from Nicholas Sparks then I would suggest A Thousand Spendid Suns by Khaled Housseini. I personally haven't read it yet. It's sitting on my shelf waiting for me. But it has come highly recommended as a tearjerker written by the same guy who wrote The Kite Runner.

I read this with my book group, not something I would have chosen for myself, but it was shocking to read about women's lives in Afghanistan, so very educational for me.

I tend to go on what I find in charity shops or at car boots.

I like real life tales of people making life changes, just reading one called "The Woman on the Mountain" at the moment, which is good.

Also I like the gentle humour of the Ladies No. 1 detective Agency books and the wisdom of Susan Jeffers.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
amandajane
Lively Laner

Post by amandajane »

Am 3/4 of the way through ' The Household guide to Dying' by Debra Adelaide Picked it up at Library and is V Emotional. Have cried on more than 3 seperate occasions.

Recomended. If you like weepies.
X
full time mum to 2 gorgeous girls, 5 newly glam ex-battery chickens, two smelly cats, one bearded dragon. Owner of one patient husband
SHewson
Lively Laner

Post by SHewson »

Some books that must be read!!

The Railway Man - Eric Lomax. True story about a japanese prisoner of war who gets the opportunity to meet his torturer after the war. I defy anyone not to cry at the end.

The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury Just finished it and absolutely brilliant.

and any of Tony Hawkes books:

Round Ireland with a Fridge, One hit wonderland and more.

For James Herbert or Stephen King fans try Graham Masterton for horror.

Brilliant !!!

Simon
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

The best book I have read in a long long time is The Great North Road, by Annabel Dore. It has everything I like in a novel, including a good ending. I am often disappointed with the end of books. A lot of times I get the impression that the author has thought 'there I have written my allocation of words. now I can finish' and so they do.
The Great North Road is Dore's first book and is an excellent read!
manda

Post by manda »

A book about charcuterie - can't remember the name though :oops: ..but it is very good.
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jacquih
Longlasting Laner

Post by jacquih »

Went through a phase of reading books on trgic childhoods, like Toni Maguires, very depressing sometimes, it makes me feel angry as well, so they dont make me feel good.
Fay Weldons she may leave, very good, very cryptic, at the moment I like to read books on self sufficiency and chicken keeping.
Jacquih
mothernature
Lively Laner

Post by mothernature »

Ive been re reading Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII By David Starkey ^b: He is fab and im a Henry VIII nut! :-D
*Mother Nature*
Looks after: 1 husband, 2 sons, 2 cats 1 fish & 1 chicken:
Quidditch - Isa
Evie
Lively Laner

Post by Evie »

Just finished reading The celestine prophecy, has anyone else read this book? ^b:
What did you think?

Evie
Lucy O
Learner Laner

Post by Lucy O »

I highly recommend anything by David Sedaris for anyone who wants a really good laugh.

I love reading diaries,letters and biographies. I've just finished 'The Mitfords - Letters between six sisters'.

I'm also a big fan of all James Lees-Milne's diaries and his hilarious autobiographical novel 'Another Self'.

Virginia Nicholson's 'Among the Bohemians' and 'Singled Out- How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After the First World War' were both outstanding reads.

A Scott Berg's biographies esp. 'Lindbergh' and 'Kate Remembered' (Katharine Hepburn) are utterly brilliant.

I couldn't put down Deborah Cadbury's 'The Lost King of France' truly amazing.

I've just started to read 'The Assassin's Cloak - an anthology of the world's greatest diarists'.
yorkielass
Lively Laner

Post by yorkielass »

Hubby just bought me an anstronomy telescope so I am reading anything I can on how to get the best out of it and books on moon, stars etc :-D
Anne
Raven
Lively Laner

Post by Raven »

Just finished Myrren's Gift (Quickening, book 1) by Fiona McIntosh. Absolutely brilliant :) it was an all-nighter, couldn't put it down.

Good to see someone else who likes 'Doc' Smith too, I have box sets of he Lensman and the Skylark series but I only have a couple of the d'Alembert series.

Reading is my TV - I gave my TV away in 1999 and haven't had one since. Don't miss it either, except for some of the documentaries.
In frith,
Raven

Our Eggs don't Skelter