Ilona's handmade makes. New thread

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Ilona's handmade makes. New thread

Post by Mo »

I'm not at all crafty but a friend was doing a taster craft session at a guide camp and I had to help with the Dorset button making. Bit like that but a woven centre.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Mo wrote:I'm not at all crafty but a friend was doing a taster craft session at a guide camp and I had to help with the Dorset button making. Bit like that but a woven centre.

That's exactly how I make them, Mo, only I leave the ridge on the outside of the ring, they twist the threads so it's on the inside. Either way is fine. Thanks for the link, that's useful.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

This has taken longer than I thought, that's what happens when I have other projects on the go, plus all the walking I do. Anyway, the wall hanging is finished now. It's 22 inches by 18 inches.

All the centres are filled in, with added embellishments. I am very pleased with it.

Ilona
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Its gorgeous Ilona and well worth the time it took you which cosidering just how much you pack into each and every day is a wonder in itself.
I cant wait to see your next creation you are getting better with every thing you shall i say invent lovey really lovely )like(
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I had a go at painting stones. Used a mixture of acrylics and felt tip pens. I am not much good at painting.

Ilona
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

The wall hanging is lovely and bright and summery. Very clever :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you Helen and Linda.

Just finished this one.

The spirals started off life as coasters, I found them in a charity shop for £1, and thought I could make some wall art with them. I had to buy three balls of wool (£2) because I didn't have the right colours, I covered the coasters leaving the outer spiral uncovered. The frame was a childs chalk board, I used the board for something else. Wrapped it in green wool which I already had.

The colours haven't come out very well on the photo's, the pink and purple are darker than this.

I am going to be having an exhibition of my art in Burton upon Trent on August 20th, for two weeks. Some of it will be for sale, and I will make a donation to Air Ambulance. Now I need to make more pictures.

Ilona
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

May well be worth a visit .
Bob
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Would love to see you Bob, but you'll have to let me know which day if you do coms, as I won't be there the whole two weeks. I shall be coming and going.

I'm making some bunting for the summer house. Fancied using wood instead of fabric, which is normally used. I have some large sheets of fake wood, rescued from a skip when they were ripping out the fixtures and fittings of a cafe which had closed. It's like compressed cardboard, very strong no splinters and easy to saw. I got the saw out of a skip a few months back, the builders said it was no good. Works perfectly fine for me.

I am now painting them, will post a picture when they are done.

Ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Where do you get all your ideas from, MQ?
You make some beautiful things and also help others, i.e. the Air Ambulance into the bargain, what an achievement.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Gwenoakes wrote:Where do you get all your ideas from, MQ?
You make some beautiful things and also help others, i.e. the Air Ambulance into the bargain, what an achievement.

Hi. I think I was always creative. I have always preferred jobs where I had to think for myself, always wanted to learn something new, and hated routine jobs which were repetitive. In the early days of lorry driving I loved being handed a set of keys to a loaded lorry, set off down the road with a map, and create my own route. Later on when more legislation came in it wasn't so enjoyable to follow set routes and be given a timetable of where to be at what times. If they could train chimps to do the job I'm sure they would have. During the last few years of driving I started and ran two small businesses, just to give my brain some exercise.

I believe that routine and repetition stifles creativity, which in turn leads to stagnation. People tell me they are not creative, but I think everyone is in some way. it's just that they haven't recognized it. It really is a matter of thinking differently, challenging the norm, and going against the flow.

When I go walking people always ask me if I have done the Coast to Coast, or the Penine Way. I say no, I don't want to walk where everyone else goes. I considered going up Snowden last year but decided against it when I saw pictures of hoards of people all clambering to touch the top.

You ask, where do I get my ideas from? I read a lot, library books, research on the internet, and browse arts and craft departments in shops. I watch numerous videos on yootoob, I am loving all the arty ones, love Hockney and Grayson Perry. There is a fantastic wood and painting artist called Scott o Connor, his work is amazing.

When I wake up in the morning that's when the ideas come to me. I may have been struggling to think how I might proceed with a project I have started, or a new idea might emerge and I have to get up and make a start on it.

I look at junk in skips, charity shops, and car boot sales and look at it beyond what the original use was, and look at it's potential for turning it into something else. I play with bits and bobs, trying new techniques, I like to mix up materials, wood, metal, fabric, wool, plastics, see what works together.

My late Uncle was a life long artist, he had an exhibition in the library at Burton for many years, donating money to Air Ambulance. I thought it would be a good idea to show my art and maybe sell a few, I have rather a lot now, and I will make a donation.

Must dash, it's Crafty Club this morning. I have resurrected my first practice piece of needle felting, I was not impressed with the result, so now I am adding more wool and stitching to it and it will be framed.

Ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, MQ.
I still think what you do is just amazing, so a HUGE well done to you.
I have done ornamental arrangements, flower arrangements both fresh and dry, also tried doing nappy cakes which I then thought of bathroom cakes for people when they get married which worked quite well.
At the moment I have bought a urinal and am going to plant it up, although OH not too keen on that idea as yet. LOL
I have made raised beds with tyres that I got from a local garage for free, apparently they have to pay to have them removed, once again OH wasn't too keen, but is warming more to the idea now he can see the plants trailing over them after only a year.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you Gwen, sounds like you are pretty creative yourself.

The wooden bunting is finished, I am leaving the flags plain, can't be bothered with more painting, and they look jolly as they are.

Ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

)like(
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Not really a hand made make, more like a tart it up make, ha ha. A kerfuffle on my blog yesterday I painted my 'David' statue in the garden, it's quite big and heavy. It's a bit scruffy and mucky, and I thought it needed a makeover. Opinions were divide, some were horrified, and some thought it was hilarious, which was my intention. I like a chuckle. See what you think.

I took my tablet to Crafty Club yesterday to show the ladies, WiFi in the Village Hall, they were rolling about laughing. {rofwl}

Ilona