Still making something from nothing

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
p.penn

Re: Still making something from nothing

Post by p.penn »

I have an old singer hand machine but must admit a longing for an old treadle one. I learned on one at school several hundred years ago and loved it. I hate electric ones. Too fast.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Bessie21
Lively Laner

Post by Bessie21 »

since my last post i had a look through my bag of clothes which i use as rags for cleaning,

i found an old pair of my daughters jeans, i have since handstiched and made a shoulder bag for her i must admit it's not perfect but i really enjoyed doing it and it's not bad at all for a first attempt even if i say so myself!
plus she loves it too which is good lol (i haven't a clue how to pics on here but i shall maybe attempt later)

i have also just won a singer sewing machine on ebay hubby has got it for my birthday on thursday :-D but i do intend to hand embroider just use the machine for sewing together pillowcases and curtains etc,
i was in the local charity shop on friday searching thru tins of buttons, and also found some sewing cotton, but no embroider silk but i shall keep looking,

anyway i think i have found something that i enjoy (f+
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

p.penn wrote:I have an old singer hand machine but must admit a longing for an old treadle one. I learned on one at school several hundred years ago and loved it. I hate electric ones. Too fast.

Guess what I saw in the Oxfam shop today.....?
It's built into a beautiful table, and it needs the belt replacing. It's yours for £145!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Bessie21
Lively Laner

Post by Bessie21 »

the singer sewing machine i won was £19, in excellent cond, looks a bit old fashioned but i like it, i have yet to set it up and have a go but it looks nice lol,

been to the charity shop again today, i've come away with some embroidery cottons, and a huge round table cloth(with design on it) which i'm going to give my nan at christmas (it'll prob take me that long to finish the design) and a table runner with a printed design to follow which i'm going to put in my living room on my side board, so two projects to be getting on with, good job really as the hubby is busy at work and has a few late nights coming up so at least i'll have something other than the tv to keep me company!!!!

so happy i went in again today, (f+
chick-chick
Lively Laner

Post by chick-chick »

brilliant ideas Ilona, any ideas what i can do with empy toilet paper tubes...
:)
I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned!!!

http://mothernaturewales.blogspot.com/
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sorry, can't think of any ideas for toilet rolls yet, but I have come up with an idea for zips. I've got lots of these in different colours from the Scrapstore, they are 5ins long. They have about a thousand of them :shock:
I like to have things in front of me to play around with. Zips are usually sewn into fabric to open and close something, so thinking outside the box, what if I sewed them to each other. My idea, a purse.
I used thin string to stitch them together and did the seams on the outside to make a feature of them. You can use any zip to open it. I could sell loads of these if I could be bothered to make them, the colours are Scunthorpe United, ha ha.

Ilona
)old(
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Meanqueen wrote: I could sell loads of these if I could be bothered to make them, the colours are Scunthorpe United, ha ha.

Ilona
)old(

Wow Ilona and they've just been promoted back to the Championship too, you could make a fortune )t'
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Are they not Burnley colours too? another premier league team!

I'm giddy with the thought of trying to find ways to use up 1000 little zips :oops:
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Here is a shopping bag I made yesterday. I had a gazebo roof in my garage, salvaged from a showground last year after a motorhome show. The traders dump all their rubbish in piles, and I root through it. :-D

I cut it up into large blue and white triangles, washed a piece of blue, it came up nice, and I made this bag, the full story is on my blog.

Ilona
)w(