Still making something from nothing

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

Ilona you are so clever :-D You could sell them on ebay with a reserve, they are lovely.
chickens rock!!!
TURFEY21
Lively Laner

Post by TURFEY21 »

wow they are all fantastic.

How do you make a bag out of plastic bags look so great?

Do you just shred it and then knit it? envy}}
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

This is how you turn plastic bags into yarn to knit or crochet. It is not easy to knit because it doesn't slide easily on the needles like wool does.

I used this method, it makes a double strand, you need large knitting needles.
bags into yarn

I am going to try this method next, it makes a single strand, and you can use smaller needles to make a tighter knit.
or this one

Ilona
TURFEY21
Lively Laner

Post by TURFEY21 »

It looks so interesting - I don't even know how to sew but am eager to learn.

The joys of not being taught while I was growing up :-(

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to start?
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Love the video tape handbag - it looks really funky )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

TURFEY21 wrote:It looks so interesting - I don't even know how to sew but am eager to learn.

The joys of not being taught while I was growing up :-(

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to start?

I don't know if this will help, but it might inspire you. A favourite site of mine, it does have tutorials on right hand side below the adverts.

purl bee

However, why not try and contact a local knitters group, often advertised in local wool shops.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Evening bag.

Post by Meanqueen »

Here is another bag I have just finished, though it is not made from nothing, it's made from a mans tie which I bought for 50p from a charity shop. I can't claim it as my idea because I copied it from someone at a craft fair, who had several on her table for sale at £5.00 each.

It's an evening bag, the tie is swirled round, a bit like a coil, pinned into place and stitched very carefully. The broad end is at the bottom and the narrow end is the handle. It was a bit floppy so I made a stiffener out of an old plastic tablecloth, the same shape as the tie, and threaded it through the middle. It has a button fastener, I left a small gap where I joined the tie for a button hole, and a matching button to attach the handle to the bag, with a piece of chain for decoration. I didn't cut the tie at all and it doesn't need a lining.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Ilona that is really lovely, you certainly have a talent for the inventive - copied idea or not!
TURFEY21
Lively Laner

Post by TURFEY21 »

I don't know if this will help, but it might inspire you. A favourite site of mine, it does have tutorials on right hand side below the adverts.

purl bee

However, why not try and contact a local knitters group, often advertised in local wool shops.[/quote]

ooh thank you bluebell )c(
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you Bluebell, I have put that site in my favourites, will be looking at it for inspiration.

Ilona
(f+
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

oooo i liks that ilona so clever :) :) :) :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

yet another bag

Post by Meanqueen »

I shall be known as the 'bag lady', soon, just finished another bag.

Cut 8 x 7cm squares out of drinks cartons, punch holes around the outside edges.
Photobucket

Crochet around the edge of each one with brightly coloured wool.
Photobucket

Sew four together, twice, and crochet extra rows around the outside to make the bag the size you want. Join the two pieces together with a row of crochet. Knit the shoulder strap, 6 stitches, and fastener (with button hole), to match and sew them to the bag. Make lining out of any soft fabric and sew around top edge. Sew button on. Bag is 22cm x 22cm.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Ilona
:-D
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

Wow, this is brilliant. If there is some lovely packaging in your favourite colours this would be excellent for a bag. There is something I have in my mind and for the life of me I can't remember what it is but it comes in beautiful tones of lilac dreamy looking flowers. I can just see that made into a bag like this. Amazing, you are very talented )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ilona that is really clever. I'm afraid you lost me though at the 'crochet' bit.

You must have loads of bags now! One for every occasion. Are you attempting to become the Imelda Marcos of bags?? :-D

In the right place they would sell for £30+ each you know.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

'In the right place they would sell for £30+ each you know'

Without a doubt!! They would sell like hotcakes on Etsy (f+ They are so original.