Any stampers/paper crafters??

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Any stampers/paper crafters??

Post by Babycakes »

I have got into stamping a bit recently. I have some stamps and inks that I got as part of a bundle from the craft club ages ago. I am fairly compitent now at basic stampingm, but was wondering, how do I turn my stamped images into coloured pictures? Lots of the stamps come with pictures of the stamped images that are beautifukly coloured, but the only colouring in I know how to do involves Grace's chubby crayons and very basic pictures of winne the pooh LOL
I have seen some stamping chalks online, would these be good for adding some colour "between the lines" and to the background??
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Would love to help but am rubbish at stamping! :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I'm not brilliant at it myself but practice will help I'm sure. It's a nice thing to potter about with - I don;t need to set aside a whole lot of time, I can pick it up and dabble in a spare 20 mins and not worry about hwen I come back to it. I'm hoping I'll improve enough soon to be able to make some simple gift cards for in my nappy cakes - I'm working on my website for those too.
Also it's compact - I was able to sneak some stamps and ink into work and have a sneaky practice when I had a lull this afternoon hehehehe notmee
piglets_girl
Learner Laner

Post by piglets_girl »

Hi Babycakes,

I love to dabble with card making and other creative things when I get the time, and have done a fair bit of stamping myself.

When I want to add colour I've used chalks, although mine are cheap chalks from Wilkinsons, £1 for a massive box. To add the colour I've used my finger, a sponge, a paint brush - each giving a different look, practice on a piece of white paper to see what effects you can achieve.

I've also used coloured pencils to fill in the stamped outline, either with a "heavy hand" for full colour or with light shading to be a bit more subtle.

My mum gave me some watercolour pencils which you dip in water and colour with, these gave a nice wash of colour for large stamp designs. Can get a bit messy if you use too much water - the stamp outline gets all blurry!!

I've also tried adding colour to the paper before you use the stamp, using traditional water colours.

Sorry this is a long post :oops:
You can also use different coloured inks to load up the stamp to get a multicoloured outline, works well on large stamps.

...And finally you can use an embossing powder to raise the outline of your stamped image, this helps make the image a bit more water proof if you use paints to colour in!

Good luck and have fun - I'm off now to root through my boxes and drawers upstairs and get a bit creative myself 8)

piglets_girl
"You can't stay in your corner of the forest, waiting for others to come to you; you have to go to them sometimes" - Piglet
village girl
Learner Laner

Post by village girl »

Hi
I use watercolours to paint my stamped images also watercolour pencils that you can get very cheap I have used felt tiped pens as well. Embossing makes the image look better in most cases I usually emboss with gold embossing powders which work well as I sell cards they have to look resonable.

Eileen
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Thanks ladies, plenty of food for thought there. All advice much appreciated so keep it coming!!!!! (f+
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

Me me, I love papercraft. I'm a scrapbooker although I have been known to make a few cards. If you are stamping and using watercolour pencils, promarkers or the like, you need to stamp with a waterproof ink such as Versamark. This will give you a sharp stamped image and won't run when you use water for the water colour pens or pencils. There is a definate knack for colouring in with water colours, practice makes perfect. I also emboss, I love doing this..it's like magic watching the powder change to an embossed line :-D
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have seen heat embossing on the shopping channels, and I have to say it is very cool!! I think if I keep stamping up I might have a look at embossing. I do a little bit of scrapbooking too, but am very much a novice and not very good at it yet!! In saying that, it's may be gr@p, but it's my cr@p and I enjoy every second of it LoL

(PS - Meg, am following your blog now, gorgeous coop!!)
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

I noticed when I updated it tonight that you are following it, thank you for that, you are my only follower :-D

Scrapbooking is great, I absolutely love doing it, although the new chickens are making it take a back seat at the moment I'm afraid :shock:

Thank you for the kind words about my chicken coop (f+ I read your blog earlier and notice you are trying to loose weight...I am too )t'
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I was pleased I lost a whole pound this week. I very proudly announced this to my OH who genuinely thought I meant I'd left the pound coin in the supermarket trolley....
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

Tut...blokes!!! waste of space :shock:
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

try useing the pencils that u can use wet or dry,colour in dry,then with a fine paint brush,wet it by dapping in a shallow bowl with a bit of tissue in the bottom,so you dont get a lot of water on the brush,and gentle go over your design,or use your inkpads as a paintbox,just dipping the brush on the pads.by using the dispoable eye shadow pads,imean the ones that have alittle bit of sponge on a stick about 2"long.you can add a lovly texture to your cards.mixing the white paper glue into your colours can help to give an endbossed look.try painting over a pieace of small bubble wrap then pressing your card gentle onto it for a diff background ,sorry to go on but beside diying i love cardmaking and have for many years.
angie
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Thanks Angie, I like the bubble wrap idea. I have lots with different size bubbles - everyone in work keeps it for be for selling stuff on Ebay, and it sounds like something Grace cuold have a go at with me.
I bought her some little pots of finger paint last week. We are having a girly creative day together on saturday - finger painting, gardening and cooking :-D
I'll try to get some pics and post them on my blog
hari
Lively Laner

Post by hari »

you can also stamp in color and using a water brush and gently pull the color in then it looks like you painted it your self you can also use sakura think that is right to color them in or dob some of the ink on plastic and use as paint you can use some good felt tip pens and do your stamp different colors then breath on it before you stamp or get the plastic sheet bad cant think of the name must be my age and use stazon stamp on plastic then you con color it with gel pens or glitter the effect with glitter is great i have been card making for over 12 years if i can help in any way feel free to pm ok