Harping on

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Harping on

Post by seahorse »

It has come at last, my harp that is! Now I have to learn to play it. I managed to tune it using my accordion and can knock out greensleeves and old macdonald already. My new project for the year now is to learn to read music. I really need a teacher but dont think there is one on the island.,it will have to be u tube until i find one! (f+ All I can say is, good job the walls are thick in this house (f+
Looove chucks!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Wow that is so cool!! I hope you find a teacher soon.
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

How lovely , not heard one of those for years!

Good luck!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Is it a proper full size harp?

They look quite hard to play but do sound so lovely.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

I could listen to harp music all day...it's a lovely instrument. Good luck in learning how to play and with the music reading. I wouldn't know where to start :shock:
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

My harp is the celtic variety with just 22 strings. The big concert ones have about 46 strings (I think) They cost thousands!!! mine was the cheapest one that had 22 strings and levers which tighten the strings to a sharp note, like the black notes on piano. (ok it's getting technical). It would be very versatile if I could read music, but up to now Im using mostly my left hand to pick out tunes, using a cd as background music to join in. It needs tuning each day until it develops a good tone...again, I have had to research this as I dont want to ruin it with over tight strings. It does sound lovely even though Im only tinkering. Not like the violin :shock: which in my hands sounds like Im using a chainsaw :-D Practice practice practice!!!
I intend to take it out when we go for picnics, as it is quite a portable size, should sound even better in the great outdoors. )t'
Looove chucks!
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

How is it going Seahorse? :-D
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

The harp training is coming along nicely, it is a lovely instrument and it's hard to make it sound awful!! I bought a digital tuner thingy , so keeping it tuned up is easier now. I asked around and got an email address of a lady at the local folk club, she may know someone who might teach me, waiting with baited breath now. Until then, I will just keep practicing and doing it my way (left handed). Unfortunately, I cant plug ear phones into it... so my musical atempts can be heard throughout the house :shock:
Looove chucks!
Meg
Lively Laner

Post by Meg »

I'm sure the family all love the sound of the harp though don't they? Or are they fed up with hearing it by now :shock: :-D Good luck with the teacher, hope she will tutor you to help you learn. Then you can make a utube video for us to watch (f+
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Meg, I only have a hubby and cat to play to thank goodness! I dont think utube is quite ready for me yet but I will keep plucking away until something musical comes out :-D
Looove chucks!