Making a Tutu

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Making a Tutu

Post by Emmamoo »

Not for a Ballet production, no, but in fact for my Bupa 10k run this year. I have bought some pink and blue netting and some elastic. I will attempt to make just the skirt part.

Any suggestions or tips? I've never done this before. I have knocked up a couple of dresses in my time from some of my own, by hand, so I may be ok.

I will post the before during and after pics... don't laugh!! )j;
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Have you got a pink or blue sleeveless tight fitting dress, or a leotard or bathing costume? Maybe charity shop? You could sew a half inch hem along the long edge of the net, thread the elastic through it to gather it up into a waistband, and slip it over the top of a dress or whatever.

Ilona
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I always doubled up. Put a layer of pink and blue on top of each other, folding the length of netting in half and sewing a thick seam at the crease, then running the elastic through. That way you get 4 layers of frill for the effort of just one seam.

It would appear I have got over the horror of making 17 matching sparkly outfits for last year's tap show as I didn't lock myself in a darkened room and rocxk when I read this post :-D
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

I have 2m of each colour. There should be plenty to work with. (my bum isn't that big!)

Leotard..erm I used to have one but I don't any more. I think I will just have to improvise and hope that it doesn't look too shabby.

The elastic is a very wide band so I could just sew it all to that. It's a 2" width.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

I'd recomend sewing a track for the elastic to run through - you don't need to do any gathering that way, the elastic does it for you. To sew the net to the elastic takes much more time and effort.
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Just be careful when you are running you don't get chaffed by the netting! )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

lol it won't be just a tutu lol there'll be some dead sexy lycra shorts etc.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!