HOW MANY MUSICIANS DO WE HAVE HERE?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: HOW MANY MUSICIANS DO WE HAVE HERE?

Post by Mo »

I call (mc / explain, practise and prompt the dances) with several bands. I play a bit, mostly wrong notes, but enough to recognise some of the tunes and appreciate the skill and variety of the musicians I work with.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Oheckitseck wrote:Hi
Sadly it's another thing I would love to be able to do but never got round to being taught to play any musical instrument. I have always loved the sound of the mandolin so I suppose if there was any chance of me learning to play an instument it would be it

Eck

Its never too late to learn Eck,I find playing music no matter how good or bad is very good for the soul. These days there are loads of online lessons etc for almost any instrument and learning anything new keeps the old brain oiled and working :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When people ring up to ask for a band they sometimes want it cheap for a short slot. But by the time you've travelled (allowed time for delays), set up, packed away (and hung about for hours because weddings always run late) you've done an 8 hour shift. We are happy to play 3-4 hours with a short break, but last month we travelled 90 miles to Coventry, hung about while they ate, played three quarters of an hour - I called 4 dances, then were told that they wanted the disco we could pack up & go. So we were home not long after 1am.

I agree it's never too late to learn, though you have to be prepared to spend the time practising. If I spent as much time on the accordion keyboard as this keyboard.....
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

I know what you mean about people wanting to book an act/entertainment as cheap as possible, during my DJ days it never ceased to amaze me that one of the main things as the entertainment, that lets be honest good entertainment can make a good day into a great day for the guests. The client would haggle espeicially clients enquiring to book me as the wedding day DJ, they would want to pay nothing for the entertainment but without a thought would spend hundreds on a wedding cake, flowers and chocolate fountains and the like. I used to point this out to potential customers enquiring my services and a lot of them used to take it on board
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not to mention the cost of a short firework display!
Beckscorrick
Learner Laner

Post by Beckscorrick »

Hi,
I USED to play the Frech Horn in an orchestra, Brass Band and a small quintet (I know that t is not strictly a purists instrument for a brass band - but hey, they were struggling for musicians!)
We toured several times including St Peters Port (Guernsey), Germany and France with the orchestra which was great fun.
My Father was a accomplished pianist and organist, my cousin a semi-professional saxophonist. I did some research into my family tree a few years ago and discovered the "Musical Corrick Family" who originated from these parts of the world, then moved to Australia and New Zealand - posters can be seen on the net etc and loads of info, so there maybe some genes floating around?

>ch<
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Like the Bach family.
I suppose you could argue about wether it is upbringing or genetics. It's lovely to see our 3 yr old grandson enjoying singing, his other grandma is an enthusiastic musician, plays (I've lost count how many)instruments.
Beckscorrick
Learner Laner

Post by Beckscorrick »

"Bach Family"like that Mo! ha ha ha . My OH is an extremely talented keyboard player. Name him any song or tune and he will play it perfectally!
I wish that I could take up the Horn again, but a) I live in a terraced cottage and don't think the neighbours would appreciate the Bum notes and b) I now smoke, so wouldn't have enough puff!!!!!!! :oops:
I DID play an alpine horn once at an exhibition in Wales, which was funny >fi<

becks