Do you have a mobile number?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Do you have a mobile number?

Post by Orfy »

Do you consider it to be private for friends and family to contact you.
I do.

I take my privacy seriously and do not like companies making money from selling my details. I've very carefull when filling out forms and always make sure I tick the right boxes and if any company asks for details I ask them why they need it and ensure they know I do not want it sharing.

So on hearing about the new mobile directory I was confident I would not be on it.

Guess what? I AM!!!!!!!!!

I've just made sure they remove my number and will be emailing them to ensure they do not sell it on and tell me where they got it from.

http://www.118800.co.uk/faqs.html
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Re: Do you have a mobile number?

Post by Bollybarb »

I've had an email about this from a friend about this. How do you check to see if you are on? Do you have to join? i think i will go ex directory, but then i've given them my number..... sorry brain is on a go slow at the moment, can't think straight!! i asked a paramedic if he knew how to get to the emergancy depatment the other day :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I've just put my details into the search, first name, surname, and town. I put first the nearest town 5 miles away, then searched again using my village name, they both said there is more than one person with my name, :shock: :shock: :shock: For goodness sake, I live in a small village!!! It asked me for further details. As far as I know there is only me and one other with the same name in the whole country, the other lady is in Scotland.

Then I added my house number, and it said, 'We have found them', and it asked that I register, and they will send this person a message saying I want to get in touch with them and include my mobile number so they can ring me, and for that it will charge me £1.

I couldn't find a directory to check if my number is there, they say it is. This is a money making site, you get charged as you would when ringing any directory enquiry line, only with this one you don't get the number you are asking for, that's unless you are asking for your own.

Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have, but I couldn't tell you it, Spencer doesn't know it either nor does anyone else. I never use my mobile, unless there is an emgency.
Therefore I still have the original £5.00 on there as I have only had to report one accident I saw happen to the police.
The phone is there for my convenience not others. I do not need to be contacted while shopping or driving.
I detest the things. But they have their uses.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Wendy so agree with you. OH uses a mobile phone as he does service calls but if someone rings him about something else he asks them to ring the office (our shed). He refuses to text.
I have had messages on my 'phone which I haven't picked up for weeks. I should take it with me more often for emergencies. I have a pay as you go, don't know the number when it rings I always think it is someone else's. They are handy as we live quite away from the shops so I can ring OH and tell him to bring something in. There should be buckets in streets, trains, restaurants, shops etc for people who have loud social conversations, the b***dy things could be dumped in them!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have trouble with mine, use it so seldom that it switches me off then have to buy another card, with a new number. Does your £5 last for ever, Wendy, even if you don't make a call?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think so Mo. I will ask Spencer.
Wendy

Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I've called them and asked them to supply details of the company who sold them my detaisl and to delete my records.

If you just ask to go ex directory they will keep your details and if in future they decide to sell part or all of the information to 3rd parties then the information will be included even though it is ex directory.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
wendy

Post by wendy »

He thinks so, as we paid it. It didn't come with the phone and so it is our money.
Wendy

Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

If there is no activity on my mobile for a certain time, it automatically cuts off, so I send a text now and then, as it's a hassle to get reconnected.

Ilona
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

ive got a work mobile that i use daily and a personal one, i cant remember the last time i switched it on :shock: in fact my granddaughter plays with it when she comes down so i will be surprised if it still works all my kids schools know to get me on my work one the only time i use my personal one is during the summer holidays as im off work for so long :) :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Most pay as you go mobiles will be disconnected if there is no activity on them for more than a couple of months.
My Mum is forever giving me her mobile to sort out as she says it's not working. She's got through goodness knows how many sim cards. She only uses her phone about once a year (don't know really why she bothers at all). Even though it's YOUR money on the card, they will still disconnect it and give someone else that number )gr:
I haven't found anyone that doesn't cut you off yet so if yours is still active Wendy, let me know who it's with and I'll get one for Mum.

I didn't know that there is now a directory of mobile numbers. Certainly don't want mine on there, it's bad enough when Vodeydrone keep phoning to get me to upgrade or sell some other piece of useless rubbish.

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Oh dear.
I have just discovered I can text my best friend john, who lives in California.
Also, my mobile is with Tes and Co.
Am I going to get put it the naughty corner...?
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

It cannot find me or hubby - our phones are registered to our business so we don't have our names on the contracts )t'
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I'm with Wendy on this, I have a mobile purely for my own convenience and no one elses. I dont give the number out or write it down on forms. I bought my phone 7 years ago and am still learning what all the buttons do :shock: And dont know my number either (f+ (f+ (f+ (f+ Text messaging is fine but to talk on the thing is infuriating as the signal breaks up often, plus the battery goes dead if you try and have a conversation with it....keeps the bill cheap,I spend about £2 a month.
Looove chucks!