Save the planet?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Save the planet?

Post by Homemade »

Another good article in the Sunday Limes magazine, "Eat me.. and save the planet".
Partly about food waste and partly about the hidden wastage in everything.
Apparently In Flanders, Belgium the government subsidises householders chicken keeping )c( )c( .
And surprise, surprise we should be reusing more not just recycling. I think this forums members are ahead of the game here, ..see Babycakes posting on unusual recycling items )t'
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Save the planet?

Post by kate egg »

Re-using is the way to go - and like you say a lot of DTL members are way ahead on that one. What gets me are the electrical items that could be repaired but its not financially viable - like kettles, toasters etc are a dreadful waste and harm to the planet. But when it costs £25 for a repairer to look at an item and you can buy a new on for less than £10 its crazy :? If only there was an incentive for not replacing but fixing these items.... then again look at all the new cars, TVs, fridges, and on and on and on and the old ones are dumped somewhere )gr:
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Kate - I`m really lucky as the site officer at school is a real dab hand at repairing stuff. His rate of pay is 6 eggs and 2 custard slices per item!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I couldn`t agree with you more.
I have a large food mixer made by a well known brand name company and which I paid £130 for in 1981. I bought it because my mother had one and we used to make all our own bread and it takes a 3 pound bad of flour quite easily. As I have four children(only one of whom is still at home) I used to do batch cooking and freeze stuff. I while back now it started making funny noises so I took it to a local electrician who told me it couldnt be repaired because it was made up of components which were sealed units.
I then did what I should have done in the first place and took it to my father-in-law who the kids call `grandpa fix it` and he took it to pieces and repaired it. It is still going strong and I wouldn`t exchange it for anything. In fact to replace it with an equivelant would cost somewhere in the region of £500. I often use it now to make batch stuff for church do`s and it is brilliant.
My elsdest daughter has asked me to leave it to her in my will(if you please) and my mother is leaving hers to my son. We have every confidence that both machines, which are both the same model, have plenty of life left in them yet.
Another thing which winds me up is the way things are sold with sealed moulded plugs on them, because we all know of course that its `SO`terribly dangerous to change a plug. I was taught to change plugs at school in science lessons. Whats that all about then. ?
Do the commom sense police think we are all stupid and brain dead? I have quite a collection of old plugs , I know where to buy fuses and I know how to use a scewdriver. Please ! give us all a break and credit us with some sense.
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.