Wheelie Bins

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Wheelie Bins

Post by secret squirrel »

How often does your wheelie bin get collected.?
We have 2 bins, one for general rubbish, of which there is very little, because most of it goes in the compost heap. When the chooks arrive, they will get it. The other bin which is smaller is for recycling.
In principle this is not a problem until you realise that the recycling is collected every other week and the main bin every week.
Unfortunately due to the amount of packaging there is so much recycling that the bin is full long before they come and collect it. They havnt mentioned anything about the bin lid being open but there will come a time when they do. When the recyling bin is full we have to use the main bin, which I feel guilty about as it is not intended for recycled stuff.
It would be better with the amount of packaging you get through, for them to collect the recycling bin every week and the main bin fortnightly.
What do you all do?
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
wendy

Re: Wheelie Bins

Post by wendy »

Rubbish one week, recycled the next. In other words both are collected every two weeks.
To be honest only the recyle bin gets full the other is relatively empty, so only needs emptying every two weeks.
There are only the two of us and I do not use processed food for us or our animals, so therefore don't have a great deal of packaging.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Normal bin once a week, that one is usually about a third or less full.
Recyling bins - we have two black plastic boxes for paper and fr tins and jars, once every two weeks.
I collect the cardboard, and plastic to take down the supermarket car park, which also takes paper and bottles, clothes and shoes.
It might be an idea, that when you go shopping, and something has been double or triple packaged to within an inch of it's life, to take any excess packaging off at the till, and leave it there.
They'll soon get the idea and stop using so much.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

We have a big grey wheelie for general rubbish for landfill, this is collected once a fortnight, along with smaller recycling boxes with paper in one and tins and glass in the other. There is hardly anything in my grey one, mainly mucky cat litter. I dont have much paper, only junk leaflets and one free paper a week. Hardly any tins and glass.

Then we have a red wheelie for cardboard and plastics, and a brown wheelie for garden compostable rubbish. These are emptied alternate weeks with the grey. Mostly my cardboard is cat food boxes which I break down to fit, small amount of plastic packaging, and I have a tidy round the garden to fill the brown one.

Ilona
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We have a big black wheelie bin for general rubbish. This is collected weekly but is normally less than a third full. We have two big green boxes, one for paper and cardboard the other for glass and metal. We also have a big green sack for plastic and a green wheelie bin for garden waste. All recycling is collected fortnightly. The recycling here is very good, I just wish we could put food waste etc in with the garden waste but it has to only be grass clippings/weeds etc. Would be good if they collected batteries too but I suppose we can't have everything :?

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I tried going to the local tip with some of my recycling but the barrier is too low to get the truck under. Sometimes I go to the one in the next borough, but I have to be naughty and give my mothers address.
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

Our wheelie bins - normal and recycle are emptied on alternate weeks. When we first got our recycle bin it would be full to over flowing. Since then the council have steadily reduced the number of things you can put in it - we cannot put things like tinfoil, yogurt pots, shreaded paper, large cardboard, tetra paks, cling film and so on in the recycle bin. Also we have never been able to put glass in. As a result it has got emptier and our other bin is getting fuller again. It makes me mad that so many things which should be recycled have to go in the landfil bin {mr.angry}
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

We have two large bins, general rubbish and recycling. My Mother has 3 or 4 large bins. We can't put out glass or garden waste, my Mum can. I don't know how people manage with those silly boxes.
There has been a letter in our local paper regarding maggots in bins. The only food waster I have is bones which are too splintery for the dog and the remains of the occassional take away which is too spicey for the dog. These are put into at least two plastic bags, tied and put in the bin, are these people not wrapping the waste food?
Is it beyond the pale to get all councils singing off the same song sheet?
We also pay a lot of money for a trade bin. This goes straight to land fill. We often break up machines into chipboard, metal, glass and electronic parts. We have tried every where to get this recycled and have been told Liverpool and we would have to get it there! We would soon be bankrupt so it is cheaper to pay for a bin.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Forgot to add. We have a container for paper and a container for foil, plastic yogurt pots ect.
One thing they don't take is glass. Which is so strange. So we have to take to a place in the supermarket car park.
They are collected alternate weeks.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mrs Fuzzywig
Longlasting Laner

Post by Mrs Fuzzywig »

Thank goodness we don't have piddley boxes for our recycling, reading all the above, I think we have a pretty good deal here. Our hugh green recycling bin gets emptied every 2 weeks along with a small blue bin for glass. We have 2 brown, general rubbish bins (one just turned up outside our house last year and no-one claimed it so we adopted it) which are emtied every week thank goodness, in this weather I wouldn't want all that rotting stuff stinking the place out for 2 weeks. We also get our garden rubbish collected as well, it's all go here of a Thursday morning. )t'
Carol

The trouble with having a really good sleep is, you're not awake to enjoy it!
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

We get, alternate fortnightly collections of a landfill bin and a garden rubbish only bin and fortnightly collection of a small black box for paper, glass and tins. Nothing for plastics or card etc. {mr.angry} . Double wrapping food waste is ok if you have spare bags to reuse. It can't be good to go and buy more plastic just for the rubbish!
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
jacquih
Longlasting Laner

Post by jacquih »

We have black bins collected fortnightly, brown bins only collected monthly,cdue to new collection of glass, very annoying as chicken gubbins goes in to this as compost is very full.
Jacquih
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

we have a general waste black bin collected every other week, the green recycle bin in the alternate weeks. We also have a tough bag for recycling glass that is collected on the same day as the black bin, but I think it is once a month (I barely use it so have to keep an eye out for when other people leave their's out when I need to get rid of stuff) Our bin collections are on Mondays, and the following day during the recycle bin collection week, we can fill the green bin with garden waste (weeds/grass/hedge clippings etc) for municipal composting BUT you are not allowed to put vegetables (eg manky ones you can't eat) or peelings in and are encouraged to compost it yourself (compost bins available from the council are really cheap)
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

we must be very lucky as they have just started collecting everything on the same day weekly with the brown garden and compost every other week on the same day )t' )t' )t' its working really well as some weeks i would forget to put my recycling out and end up with loads :oops: but now its all on the same day i dont forget :-D

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
mal
Lively Laner

Post by mal »

We Have 3 bins for general waste, vegetable waste and plastic/cardboard the a box for cans and another for paper collected fornightly on the same day each week. We rarely use the green waste one as I compost everything and use it on my raised beds.
I'd like to know why compost bought from the council costs more than what we buy at the garden centre!! It's only recently that we've been allowed to buy it anyway, the council used to give it to Corus for landscaping the steel works!!
My bottom garden's like Narnia without the mothballs. I go to pick beans for 5 minutes and when I come out hours have passed!

"Power to the People!" - Wolfie Smith