Water Meter

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
localyokel
Learner Laner

Re: Water Meter

Post by localyokel »

You need to clean that mud away or you could have big problems. If it is outside your garden boundary that might be a job for the water board. Don't let them fob you off with a bill though.
localyokel
wendy

Post by wendy »

We don't have a water meter either.
Just pay the water rates. We did look into one, but also felt we would pay more.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Greengrass

Post by Greengrass »

Meanqueen wrote:I am very good at saving water, every drop counts. Only wash my car when it is absolutely necessary, and then with only two buckets full, one for wash one for rinse. I stack my pots up on the side, and when I have loads I wash them all in one bowlfull of water. I only flush my loo when needs must, widdle goes on the compost heap, as I mentioned in another topic. I can have a very good strip wash in two bowlfulls of hot water. One for the top bit and one for the bottom bit. I collect rain water for my garden, but do use the hose pipe sparingly when it doesn't rain. Growing veg saves me loads of money so I must look after it.

Ilona

It's good to save water and not waste it. We are in an ideal position because all our water goes back into the eco system. Yes even our toilet waste. We have a brick septic system that filters the water back into the ground. It's good enough to drink. Our toilet is fed from rain water and since our land is above a massive under water river (spring) everything that is sprinkled onto the land goes back into the source.

All we need to do now is sort out our electric so we are off the grid altogether, then we can say we are self sufficient 95% at least.

)ot: I will post pictures of our next project when it's off the ground. We want to set up a bio fuel generator underground to supply the home at high demand times. This will run from chip fat oil that will be donated by a friend who owns a few chippies. We can have it refined (filtered) for around £8 for 25 gallon but we hope to do this our selves.
localyokel
Learner Laner

Post by localyokel »

I ave a wash in a stream in the summer, it dont arf wake you up wen you are feeling a bit groggy. I go camping a lot so a stream is very handy. )t'
localyokel
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

We used to wash up our frying pan in the stream in the 70s when we camped overnight on the way to cornwall. :shock:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

p.penn wrote:I know this is slightly )ot: but where my water is turned off in the road, the tap is completely submerged by mud (really, probably almost a foot of solid mud now) and I need a new washer on my front garden tap - is it my responsibility to clear the mud from the tap to gain access? confused>

helen,at the begining of this year,had to have this job done because the stopcock was leaking,as it was outside the house but in the back yard the waterboard came and meaned it,at no cost.like yours it was full of thick mud. because its the main water its their job,not yours.

angie
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

p.penn wrote:I know this is slightly )ot: but where my water is turned off in the road, the tap is completely submerged by mud (really, probably almost a foot of solid mud now) and I need a new washer on my front garden tap - is it my responsibility to clear the mud from the tap to gain access? confused>

If the tap is outside the area of your property, then it belongs to the water company and not you. Therefore you could not be touching it.

You should have a water stop tap, somewhere on your property.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

I'd check that.

Sometimes it's your responsibility from where it leaves the mains.
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have a water stop tap in my kitchen but then the next one is 2ft or so deep in a hole under a slab outside my front garden where my gate used to be.

Nothing here is what it should be - we be country folk you see!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

The main stoptap outside the boundary is normally the water boards problem unless some wierd circumstances exist.
I had a problem and I :oops: unscrewed their stoptap, couldn't get it back on 40yrs + old tap, bloody left hand threads )de:
They replaced it with a placcy one after digging up the tarmaced frontage and re-instated----- no charge.