congestion charges

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

congestion charges

Post by saint-spoon »

Whilst I have my ranting head on and a fist full of fury to hand I would like to take the opportunity to ask if anyone thinks that putting congestion charges on city centres is designed to reduce carbon emissions or is it merely another mechanism with which to raise more tax revenue? Apparently they are just about to place one on Oxford if the news is to be believed, the local councillor claimed that it was step in the right direction but I can’t help not believe anyone who desires positions of political influence on the grounds that the desire for power should permanently exclude that person from ever achieving it.
Bah Humbug
misty
Legendary Laner

Re: congestion charges

Post by misty »

Definately money making.
I don't go into our City any more after living there for 30 years. It was a lovely place now you could be anywhere in the country, totally ruined and they might want me to pay to go in! It is as big a con as those auction sales that charge a fee to get in, what a joke.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Similar sort of money making scheme to 'safety cameras' to catch you doing 31 mph instead of 30mph - sooooo dangerous (not)
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep, purely to make money in my opinion.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Clearly a money making exercise. If they were serious about making a real change they would pedestrianise the city centre.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

All I know is the Opposition strongly opposed it in London. I see Boris has removed it - not !!!!!

Problem is up there is it simply clogs up a big circle around it and there still seems the same amount of traffic as before !

A lot of people are opposed to it, but can afford it and just see it as part and parcel now.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome