Chinese lanterns

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Re: Chinese lanterns

Post by secret squirrel »

Thankyou for your apology.
I agree with you wholeheartedly that it is important to get as many perspectives as possible in open debate. It would be an incredible unproductive way of living if we all thought the same, and there is no reason why everyone shouldnt `rub` along together and agree to disagree from time to time. It makes life much more interesting when people have interesting things to say to each other and to discuss.

Its excellent that we all are interested and passionate about various different issues and that folk on here post their interests, because when you live in different areas you are not always aware of what goes on somewhere else.
It then becomes food for thought and that has to be a good thing.

Funnily enough, when I was out teaching the other day, there was a lady next door to where I was who let off two chinese lanterns to celebrate her birthday as she was born on 9/09/1949 and they were let off at 9 oclock.
I thought they were very lovely but I do see and appreciate the concerns of others who see them as a potential fire risk.
(f+ (f+
Lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

Just a thought - why would the lantern come down? I suggest because the candle has gone out and there is no more hot air to keep it flying. Therefore unlikely to start fire
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Fair assumption to be honest, I am so glad that we live in a world without freak accidents or manufacturing faults in cheap Chinese imports.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Kernow wrote:Just a thought - why would the lantern come down? I suggest because the candle has gone out and there is no more hot air to keep it flying. Therefore unlikely to start fire

I agree with you Kernow - that does seem logical to me too, although I guess SS has a point. Mind you, if they were going to burst into flames, wouldn't that happen when they were first lit?

Having said that, I'm a social scientist, not a science one.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

We know
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

The combination of lit candles and tissue paper belongs to that wonderful group of partnerships such as water and electricity. Whilst separated they can work together perfectly well and will be perfectly safe. Washing machines, tumble driers and dishwashers catch fire on a regular basis without being misused.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

In which case, I promise not to put a candle in my washing machine and float it off into the clouds.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I'd never seen one of these lanterns - until last week. I met up with Teasal and her OH to see her local driving club at work!

I saw something off in the distance moving along the ground, at first I thought it was a large plastic bag, if you've got horses (or experience of them) you know how scared horses can be of strange things like plastic bags.

One of the ladies went to retrieve it and it was the remnants of a chinese lantern, complete with wire. We all commented on the size of it, it was huge!

Everyone said how awful that would have been if it had landed in a field of sheep or cattle, as chances are it could have been ingested sooner or later.

I'm with Dave, I always cut up any of those plastic things which hold four tins of beans (or four cans of beer) together. I try to do my bit, BUT I know someone could oversee me and complain that I wasn't doing enough for the environment. :-D
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I also found one of these right next to my coop recently. {mr.angry}
Now, on close inspection there is no candle what they do have is sponge type material that is soaked with a flammable liguid.
I don't know if these thing come in different sizes but this one was around 3 feet tall. I believe that due to their size and weight they could well come down with a moderate flame still going.
This was confirmed when I spoke to someone who had watched them take off.
Apparently after they have been lit they can take a couple of minutes to lift off. So if thats the case then they can deffinately come down with sufficient flame to burn down a barn etc.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Have you seen the ITV promo thing (or maybe BBC) where they let about 100 off at once?
Helen xx

AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Yes I have Helen, it annoyed me even before I found one on my land.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I fully understand etc etc etc but I can't help myself. They make my spirit soar. Sorry :oops:

Now hangliders......how many times have they nearly gone through my roof? And they think they have the right to land on other people's property whenever they want to.......}hairout{
Helen xx

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

You should try a hot air ballon. I was in the garden last summer and had the s*** scared out of me by one. I was digging, so looking down and didn't notice that one was trying to land in the field behind us. As it got overhead I assume they were slowing the descent 'cos they set the burners off at full bore and they are very very loud when they are 20 foot above your head. yike*
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Done that one! I sleep in a loft conversion with velux windows and I opened my eyes one morning to find a balloon basket full of people looking in at me! :shock: They were literally 10 yards away and then landed a further 25 yards on!
Helen xx

AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

p.penn wrote: I fully understand etc etc etc but I can't help myself. They make my spirit soar. Sorry :oops:

No apology needed Helen, I agree they are a lovely sight when they are in the air.