Beef Cheeks. - Not for vegetarians...

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Beef Cheeks. - Not for vegetarians...

Post by Orfy »

Today I tried 3 butchers for beef cheeks.
Two of them told me they are not allowed to sell them.

Sounds daft to me.

I bought one of these instead.
and some of this.

Any one have a good recipe
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Beef Cheeks. - Not for vegetarians...

Post by kate egg »

Orfy - what is the top photo of? And why cannot a butcher sell beef cheeks?
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I think the top one is tongue, I'm not sure what the second one is though. My granny was telling me about boiling and pressing tongue a while back, I will ask her later if she remebers what she did and let you know
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Yes Tongue and it's a shin of beef.

Apparently the cheek is no a banned offal!!!!

I like it.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

The very best stew and dumplings is made with shin. I can feel the weight piling on!
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I agree Misty shin is by far the best for stews
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Some foods are very hard to get hold of, even if it is legal to sell them.

I had to order lambs` hearts for a science experiment at work, and the first 3 butchers I tried didnt even stock them! They said there was no market for them so they didnt sell them anymore.

I thought these cuts of meat were coming back into fashion thanks to celeb chefs and the credit crunch.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Do you all have butchers, where you live.?How I envy you all. We only have one left in Dartford and the next nearest one is about ten mins drive but tucked on a housing estate. You have to know where it is to find it(if you know what I mean). .
The nearest decent bakers is about 5 miles away apart from Griegs.
Come to think of it there isnt a greengrocers in Dartford either.
We do have a market every Thursday which is not bad, but its not what it used to be. {cry} Ive never met anyone round here who would think of eating tongue.

All of you who live in rural or semi rural areas are very lucky.You can get more variety of quality food items than we can where everything seems to be plastic wrapped with a sellby/useby date on. )dwn:
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Lilo-Lil wrote:I had to order lambs` hearts for a science experiment at work, and the first 3 butchers I tried didnt even stock them! They said there was no market for them so they didnt sell them anymore.

I have bought lamb hearts recently from son of Morris - cooked them for the dog's tea )t' I also got skirt of beef from there for making a casserole last week. Maybe cos they are from 'oop north' they have the more trad cuts??
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

secret squirrel wrote:Do you all have butchers, where you live.?How I envy you all. We only have one left in Dartford and the next nearest one is about ten mins drive but tucked on a housing estate. You have to know where it is to find it(if you know what I mean). .
The nearest decent bakers is about 5 miles away apart from Griegs.
Come to think of it there isnt a greengrocers in Dartford either.
We do have a market every Thursday which is not bad, but its not what it used to be. {cry} Ive never met anyone round here who would think of eating tongue.

All of you who live in rural or semi rural areas are very lucky.You can get more variety of quality food items than we can where everything seems to be plastic wrapped with a sellby/useby date on. )dwn:
lorna

Welcome to the world of Tes & Co.

Please use your local butchers or you Will lose it. )b(
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

I did think that Kate, or perhaps it is a seasonal thing as I`m not that far from you. When we wanted them it was Spring, and so certainly not stew season. I had to go to a traditional butcher for them in the end.

I remember being sent to the butcher in the 70`s to get tripe for my grandad`s tea, something else you have trouble to source now.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Bleurgh - tripe yike*

We are lucky in our village (population over 10,000 but no market place so still a village) we have two bakers, a butcher, a greengrocer, Post Office, newsagent, chemist, an electrical repair shop, dry cleaner, dress shop, Alladin's Cave type shop, motor/bike parts shop, as well as 2 banks, 2 building societies, an Indian restaurant, Indian take-away, 2 Chinese take-aways, fish n chip shop, 4 haridressers, a deli, a flower shop, a cafe, plus a Co-op and a Spar oh and two charity shops :shock:

It looks an awful lot written down. They are mostly long established businesses and keep going strong.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

OOOOOHH I might try there then Kate, I am looking for `skirt of beef` for making pasties.
I have never shopped at Tes & Co except on the first day of our holidays when we are filling up the caravan with basics. We much prefer to search out local butchers and bakers and green grocers where were are on hols.We always look for places to buy local cheeses and `proper` bacon.
For me suppporting local small businesses is important. Greedy landlords and the internet have all but destroyed many small independent retailers, who are the heartbeat of every community.
My own business fell victim to both of the above.
Within ten minutes walk of where I live we used to have, butchers, deli, greengrocers(x2) post office,bakers, small supermarket, and corner shop. They have ALL been replaced over the years by fast food takeaways of one sort or another, a dry cleaners and a hairdressers, and an aquarium shop.If they were all still there I would certainly use them rather than lose them, but I am not a one woman army and as I said I envy those of you who still have all these small shops.You never appreciate what youve really got until its gone.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Orfy is right, if you have a local shop be it butcher greengrocer or general store then use it.
We only have one tiny village shop that sells the most basic stuff but it is handy. I would rather pay a few pence over the odds for things in there knowing it is going to keep going.
Only last week I whent to another villages butcher that i used to use on a regular basis but have not visited for a long time. He was realy pleased to see me and we chatted for around half an hour before I got my piece of steak cut how I wanted, and I was shown a few different lumps of meat before he did the cut. It was not cheap but the whole experience was priceless.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Ps Sorry Orfy,and AL37 we dont HAVE a local butcher anymore. If we did I WOULD use it. {cry} Neither do we have a local general store or all of the things you have mentioned. Thats why I evny you all. All we have are large main stream supermarkets which have been forced on us without consultaion.
Apart from Tes&co express there are no small retailers . I didnt ask for them to be taken away.
lorna