Feed-in Tariffs

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Stig
Lively Laner

Feed-in Tariffs

Post by Stig »

The government are about to introduce feed-in tariffs as an incentive to support micro-generation projects. The idea is that they will provide a guaranteed, fixed subsidy for power - a much simpler proposition than the Renewables Obligation which we have at the moment.

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/w ... rriff.aspx

It is targeted at very small generation - in homes, farms or small businesses. The price depends on the technology, to me the winners are biomass and photovoltaics (PV). PV is the one that will "fit in" in many domestic situations - unfortunately it costs a bomb! However the feed-in tariff is designed to give a return on investment of between 5% and 8% - enough to finance that bomb I mentioned!

You'll still need a bob or two, and have the right kind of home in the right place. But owning your own power station should be a far more viable proposition in future.
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Re: Feed-in Tariffs

Post by 4pigs »

Stig
I may have misunderstood this, so please forgive me if i have but due to the expense wouldn't it still be cheaper to use solar panels?

Jo (f+
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Hi 4pigs. Yes you're right, solar thermal is much cheaper than photovoltaics, and arguably a more efficient utilisation of the suns energy. You could even make it yourself from bits of scrap metal! To the best of my knowledge there are no subsidies to encourage it, which is a shame. (If anyone knows of support or grants for solar thermal, I'd be interested to know.)

The government want small renewable electricity generation to proliferate in UK, since that is the nature of the resource (wind, sun & rain are everywhere, that's where generation needs to be). Scale therefore has to be small, & so not of interest to big utility companies. It will have to be provided by individuals & small businesses if it is to happen.

I also agree with your inference - ie, in reality very few people will want to (or be able to) invest many of thousands of pounds for a distinctly average return of 5-8%. But it does provide a path to energy self-sufficiency for anyone wealthy enough to do so! Sadly, that's not me.

PV is ideally suited to domestic installations - unobtrusive, quiet, no moving parts etc. Wind & hydro are more problematic in my opinion - need space and some technical understanding.
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Stig
I would love to be able to produce our "own energy" but the cost is so very high - as you say. We have looked at solar panels but had to rule them out due to cost. On a brighter note there have been a few new houses built in the area and they have been built with solar panels which is good to see and is promising for the future.
Do you think you could actually make them? I just wouldn't know where to start.
I have a neighbour with a heated outdoor swimming pool - but it is totally powered by solar energy - so good on them I say - and their dogs swim in there!!
As you say if anybody knows of any grants that would be good to look into.

Jo (f+
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Just found this discussion on google:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum ... opic=22494

I've also seen it done with old central heating radiators painted black (as mentioned part-way down the link). It looks easy as pie - but not so easy to make it look attractive when bolted to your home!!
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Wow... that is impressive and respect to him )b(

I think any attempt I made would end up with the house looking more like Steptoes Yard. He makes it sound such a simple project but I dont think I could manage to get any further than making the panel - pipework is not my forte confused>

I had to read it twice which says a lot......

Jo (f+

Thanks for the link