PERMACULTURE

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
BodhisatvaJohn

PERMACULTURE

Post by BodhisatvaJohn »

I've recently become interested in Permaculture (PERManent AgirCULTURE), a way of both gardening and farming, that works in harmony with nature. Apart from bring really practical and sensible, It offers so many easy solutions to how we operate, and to make gardening simpler. I'm going to change our garden over, as much as possible to these principles. I suppose many of you already garden in similar ways, but just don't call it permaculture. I think that Richard, the owner of this wonderful site does so.

http://www.spiralseed.co.uk/permaculture/
Here is a link to an very basic guide set out in 24 sketches of how to do it, with a paragrah on each one:

And here is a basic introduction to the topic, taken from the Permaculture magazine web site.

Cheers
John

PERMACULTURE ?

What does permaculture mean?

1. Permaculture is an innovative framework for creating sustainable ways of living.

2. It is a practical method of developing ecologically harmonious, efficient and productive systems that can be used by anyone, anywhere.

By thinking carefully about the way we use our resources - food, energy, shelter and other material and non-material needs - it is possible to get much more out of life by using less. We can be more productive for less effort, reaping benefits for our environment and ourselves, for now and for generations to come.

This is the essence of permaculture - the design of an ecologically sound way of living - in our households, gardens, communities and businesses. It is created by cooperating with nature and caring for the earth and its people.

Permaculture is not exclusive - its principles and practice can be used by anyone, anywhere:
City flats, yards and window boxes

Suburban and country houses/garden

Allotments and smallholdings

Community spaces

Farms and estates

Countryside and conservation areas

Commercial and industrial premises

Educational establishments

Waste ground

...Permaculture encourages us to be resourceful and self-reliant. It is not a dogma or a religion but an ecological design system which helps us find solutions to the many problems facing us - both locally and globally..

Writer, Emma Chapman, defines it as:

"Permaculture, originally 'Permanent Agriculture', is often viewed as a set of gardening techniques, but it has in fact developed into a whole design philosophy, and for some people a philosophy for life. Its central theme is the creation of human systems which provide for human needs, but using many natural elements and drawing inspiration from natural ecosystems. Its goals and priorities coincide with what many people see as the core requirements for sustainability."

Permaculture tackles how to grow food, build houses and create communities, and minimise environmental impact at the same time. Its principles are being constantly developed and refined by people throughout the world in very different climates and cultural circumstances.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: PERMACULTURE

Post by Richard »

I watched the TV Documentary series about the chap who tried it out in France. Found it very interesting plus I guess it's quite a pagen type view of things. If so, nothing wrong in that, 'we came from the soil' etc.

I've used dowsing in gardening, but more to plan out where to sow things and once to try and detour a poor line. The interesting thing there is that I haven't used the method for two years and haven't done so well.

Interesting and quite a deep, yet simple, subject.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Post by Richard »

It appears the above first post has ruffled a few feathers and for that reason John has decided it best to leave the Forum.

In the interests of all, I will now lock this thread.

All the same, we wish him well in his Life Quest.

Thanks, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Post by Richard »

I feel I may have been a tad quick in locking this thread because of an objection. It is after all, an interesting subject although not everyone's cup of tea.

It would not be really democratic to stop a thread because a person strongly objects.

Thanks, Richard
wendy

Post by wendy »

I found nothing particularly objectionable in the post, maybe not exactly what I might think. But hey ho it is an open forum and we can all have differences of opinion. Or at least we should all be able to have differences of opinion.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

confused> Am I missing something? I find nothing to object to in John's post above, unless there was something else in it which has been deleted by now.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Seems an interesting topic and informative post, again I could find nothing upsetting about it either :?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Nothing has been deleted from it, Sunny B
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Could someone who is more sensitive or it could be inteligent - I care not which ............. point out to me WHAT the problem is or seems to be ~eep~
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only person who had missed something...?
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Havnt been around for a couple of days, but have i missed something? Like several others, I really dont see what the problem with this post, is.
Regardless of wether I agree or disagree with the ethos, I wont be throwing my toys out of the pram.
Sorry that John has decided not to stay with us, after having been with us for so short a time. What a shame. We can all learn from each other, even if we agree to disagree.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Someone pm'd John taking somewhat volatile offence at his post.

There's a thread in Members Only about it.

The majority consensus of opinion is there is nothing wrong with his post.

Richard
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

there was a ntural world documentary about the subject, a lady farmer was looking into the pro's and cons. i don't see what the issue is.
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Well I am glad it is still accessible. I had found a site that had some really interesting info, but couldnt find it again. It's the one linked to in the first post in this thread!

The pagan aspect I can do without, but the principles are great and I intend to try using this method of gardening when we finally get our smallholding. Just looking for more info really, so if anyone knows anything about permaculture that doesnt involve going on a course to learn about zoning and design, then I'd appreciate any help, please?

PS, not trying to resurrect a controversial subject; just genuinely interested. If it causes trouble, then please feel free to delete my contribution.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I must be very dull or I'm just missing something here... I couldn't find a single thing to get 'upset' about .. Maybe the person who sent the pm in 2009 got out of the wrong side of his bed that day.. +confused+
Why on earth should it cause trouble Ruth?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein