Chrionstams Carbon

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

Chrionstams Carbon

Post by saint-spoon »

Just a quick thought, not only have we now cut down hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of carbon absorbing trees over the past weeks but we are also lacing them with enraging drinking light chains. Not very green. The gifts thing has already been done and I wont go into that. But the whole festive season seems like a bit of a non-green event.
Bah Humbug
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Chrionstams Carbon

Post by Totally Scrambled »

With the lights you have a point but with the trees, most will come from plantations where they are grown commercially to supply the demand for them at Christmas. As soon as they cut one lot down they plant replacements which will grow and absorb carbon. I wonder what if anything would grow in their place if there wasn't the commercial incentive to grow Christmas trees.
Besides there isn't much that is greener than a Christmas tree at this time of year. :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Yeah, but big trees absorb more CO2 than little ones! The only way to consider xmas trees as "renewable" is if they are recycled as fuel or returned to the soil. Hopefully most of them do...

Saint Spoon I think you're right - tis not the season to be eco-friendly! I'm not a xmas person & happy to be called a scrooge. Ludicrous levels of consumption & waste, and a pressure on all those with little money to keep up with the Joneses, the redeeming features being a few days off work & the shops closed!
liskeardjane
Lively Laner

Post by liskeardjane »

I get quite wierd sideways glances when I remind people that if you are a Christian then every day is a 'mass' for Christ as you don't have a day off being a Christian, therefore many of us do not celebrate 'Yule' - which is the modern mid-winter feast - but enjoy the day off and take time to be with our family and remember Christ as we do everyday, therefore Christmas is actually the same as every other day OR as most people I know - are not Christian and just over indulgent shoppers with an excuse to do more of it in the middle of winter!!! OOOOOOOO it makes me seeeeth!!! Either way - it's an over indulgent waste of money and a danger to our already over stretched planet.
Trying to live a simpler life.
http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

I agree that lots of trees get cut down, but what people don’t realize is that even in England, millions of trees are planted each year and the biggest planter is the highways department. It is estimated that in 2008 over two and half millions trees were planted by this one department alone.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Christmas trees are a huge industry in our county and I must say the growers have seedling going for crops 10 years down the road. They also prune heavily giving the branches dense needles that process carbon dioxide into oxygen. It's fascinating to watch the process and we don't see single-species plantings like we used to. You can go and cut a tree too, should you wish. It's also possible to buy seedlings to plant up your land and we do. Very satisfying.

If you use LED Christmas lights, less energy wasted... )t' )x3( )x3( )x3(
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html